After onions?

• 11 Replies

Flowertot

After onions?
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:45 »
I am thinking about next year's plot plan and wonder what to plant in the bed where the onions/garlic/shallots will be after they have been harvested.  My leeks will follow the potatoes and I have a separate bed for winter brassicas.  Is there something which folks generally put in after onions? Or would it be better simply to dig over and prepare the soil for the following year? All suggestions welcome.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: After onions?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20 »
You dont really have time to plant any major veg after onions as they are only pulled august ish.. maybe some salad veg would do. You would be better following your early spuds as they are out around 1-2 months before.

My rotations are: I follow my onions with potatoes followed by legumes followed by sweetcorn & squashes..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:42 »
I follow onions with quick leafy crops as Gavin suggests - salad leaves, oriental greens - plus I usually stick in chard and/or perpetual spinach for an early spring crop.   I use pelleted chicken manure for a quick nitrogen boost to the soil on planting and again in the spring to get the chard and perpetual spinach woken up after the winter.

The last 2 usually bolt as soon as the spring warms up, so I dig them out then, dig in some compost and am ready for replanting with something else late spring or early summer  :)

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 14:29 »
This year I did lettuce, fennel and some oriental greens, tatsoi and bekana to follow on from shallots and garlic.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 15:14 »
My  :dry:autumn planted onions came out reasonably early due to the hot weather we had, I've sown some autumn king carrots, spinach, turnips and radishes direct and also a few kale seedlings. There goin to be on the smaller side but it beats nothing

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 15:36 »
Well-established transplants can go in as late as august, which opens up your options, rather than sowing seed at that time.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Nomad

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 16:39 »
I've manured where my Onions have been and will plant Potatoes next year. You could plant some green manure over winter if you didn't want to leave the soil bare.
There is not necessarily anything wrong with doing things that are profitable. It is when "profit" becomes the dominant motive that the cycle of disaster begins.
-John Seymour

Flowertot

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:08 »
Thanks very much to you all for the excellent ideas  :)

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:40 »
After garlic(which is out early July) I put in winter brassica plants grown in pots (to the 5 leaf stage), such as cabbage and Purp. sprouting broc.  These finish in about April and I follow with squash.

For the onion bed, I mulch straight after harvest, then sow Wizard field beans beginning of October.
These produce green pods from June, then we let most mature until harvest in September and store as a dried bean over winter, sprouting, boiling and using as a dog food suppliment. The bed is mulched heavily and left over winter from Sept. until sweet corn goes in in May.

These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

Robster

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:13 »
I am with Ema.  Autumn planted onions if they've done pretty well can come out by July.  Then in with something as a transplant.  Dwarf beans, runner beans are good even if you have another sowing way ahead as they freeze so well once blanched.  Using root trainers for the beans you can get a really decent size plant that transplants really well.

A sowing of beetroot is also good.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 18:50 »
I am with Ema.  Autumn planted onions if they've done pretty well can come out by July.  Then in with something as a transplant.  Dwarf beans, runner beans are good even if you have another sowing way ahead as they freeze so well once blanched.  Using root trainers for the beans you can get a really decent size plant that transplants really well.

A sowing of beetroot is also good.

My autumn onions are out by mid June!! Start them as green onions on 1st may and by mid June they're finished. Then start on the main crop..

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 21:22 »
This year, after garlic & shallots, I planted kale that had been grown in pots, and 2 varieties of lettuce plants: Lollo Rosso and Winter Density. 

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 39 queries.