Pecking order

• 25 Replies

broodyhen

Re: Pecking order
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47 »
This blog has been really interesting  :) I have just introduced 2 new POL hens a Staffordshire Pied Ranger and a White Leghorn (who is so stunning we've called her Lady!) to our 3 flock of a Speckedly (Pat) and 2 Warrens (Marg and Sheila).

The 2 Warrens have been okish but the Speckedly (who is normally very placid and motherly) has been utterly vile  :( I put the 2 new ones in the coop on the day of purchase and kept them in there and then let the other 3 in to roost at dusk well Pat went straight for the SPR poor thing no blood or injuries. Yesterday I let all out together to free range. Lady has got guts she doesn't care one bit and they don't seem  to bother her but Veg cowers and hides poor thing. They don't attack her they just run after her if she gets too close :(

This morning I let them all out and she didnt come out so I peeped inside and she was standing up wings slightly out and gasping for the breath!! God knows what they were doing to her last night  :(

I know its going to take time and just hate BULLIES  >:(

viettaclark

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 13:04 »
My third in the pecking order is incapacitated with a bad leg and the new white star has very quicky taken her place with the young speckledy giving her a run for her money!
If it wasn't so stressful (for me as well as them!) it's an amazing study in chicken behaviour.
I thought the older ones would go for the hurt one but they settle next to her to keep her company.
Then next minute they're going for the young ones!
As the blood was very thick and dark red from the comb it dried black so no hectic pecking probs (so far....)

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 20:40 »
Thinks are not good here. Gave Bernadette a good spraying with the anti-peck spray, now she's not coming within 6 feet of me while I have anything other than treats in my hands, and the other two seem to have acquired a taste for the spray, and have nearly removed all her tail feathers!  :dry:

I'll not be using that again!

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

broodyhen

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 20:45 »
Oh no  :( poor thing. I too find it extremely stressful I even go in the run armed with a foam cricket bat just to remind them that I am number 1 in the pecking order! ;)

I do think it will get better and I know it will take time I've never heard of anyone who hasn't had some kind of argy bargy with new stock. It hasn't put them off  though ALL are laying and I have sooo many eggs!

broodyhen

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 20:48 »
Thinks are not good here. Gave Bernadette a good spraying with the anti-peck spray, now she's not coming within 6 feet of me while I have anything other than treats in my hands, and the other two seem to have acquired a taste for the spray, and have nearly removed all her tail feathers!  :dry:

I'll not be using that again!

Oh no were they that bad that you had to resort to spray?

broodyhen

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 20:49 »
BED TIME and I'm dreading going out to shut them up  :(

viettaclark

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 22:40 »
I think things are starting to calm down a little, helped by my older white star having a bad leg and unable to terrorise en bloc with the other 2 big ones. Also I'm letting them out into the garden at 7am when they come out which gives the little ones escape routes!
Lulu, being poorly, is now out of the pecking equation and although the little ones are still put in their place they are getting bolder. The pecked little white star is now giving the younger speckledy a seeing-to but she will grow pretty big and may even take over the whole lot one day!
I find the strict order for going in and out of the coop fascinating. The older ones go in first so they can "allow" the younger ones in but they come out first.....always the same order. But there is an undercurrent of care and socialization that is getting stronger.
AND I'm getting eggs from the layers and speckledy's comb is reddening.....
It's looking good......just need Lulu to recover....fingers crossed.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42 »
I think things are starting to calm down a little, helped by my older white star having a bad leg and unable to terrorise en bloc

mmm wonder how Alice would cope with a bad leg, that would put her out of her stride  :D

I AM ONLY JOKING, PROMISE !!!!!!

Though she is  eating poor Bernadette's feathers, it's Alice Bernadette hides behind when I get close (spray or no spray). And yes I thought it that bad that i needed to spray, but perhaps it wasn't and I was only wittering.  :unsure:

Think Bernadette has lice now, so off to find out about the best lice teatment, obviously the drops did not work  :(

viettaclark

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 00:46 »
See you're in Hamble!
Was in Warsash for lunch at The Rising Sun on the river so I could've been looking over at you!
Love the River Hamble!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 14:01 »
Me too  :D Only been here 18 months but don't tend to leave the village, unless it's to cross the river to Warsash  :lol:

Well, our bullying is sorted, fox took Dorcus, and now all calm. She was rising from bottom pecking order and had a sustained campaign making Alice having to join in bullying Bernadette to keep her top hen position, but now Alice and Bernadette are best buddies and all is calm.

Just a bit low on eggs now. :dry:

andy and deb

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 17:59 »
we got 2 new hens last saturday and the first thing I did was clip the beaks of the other 4 and then let them free range straight away.. waited till dark to put the new ones into the coop then next morning let them straight out in the garden to free range again all day ... luckily they seem to have integrated ok now without too much bullying .. I know beak clipping is frowned upon but its the kindest method .. like the last poster said once they taste blood they go crazy ... clip them before they cause anymore harm.. it soon grows back only clip the very end point of the beak.. the lower beak may bleed if you clip too much but it heals quickly and quietens the ladies down from their bullying frenzy.. hope everything turns out ok for you

xx
Pecking Order

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 10:23
by outercircle
xx
pecking order

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 21:07
by HENrietta
xx
The Pecking order

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 21:13
by freda
xx
Pecking order!

Started by Andrew4613 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 10:35
by JaK

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 33 queries.