The gender-bending chook saga continues!

• 4 Replies

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:10 »
I posted a few weeks back about my gender-confused chicken, Blanche.  I am beginning to think that Blanche is actually a cockerel and I may have gotten it wrong.  It's hard to tell about whether the neck feathers are pointed or rounded... they're actually kind of pointy with a blunt tip... All that being said, I have a TMI question for everybody.

What does a cockerel's external genitalia look like?  I have checked Blanche's undercarriage... there seem to be two holes, one about half an inch below the other one.  From what I can figure, that seems like lady parts, but if cockerels have a penis that retracts into their bodies, maybe that would explain what's going on.  I guess it doesn't matter either way... it's like that saying... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it's a duck.  Blanche crows like a cockerel, has a comb like a cockerel, and tops the girls like a cockerel, so I guess that's my answer.  I suppose we'll eat Blanche when s/he gets a bit older.  Any thoughts?  Shall I share more photos?
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

orfy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:00 »
From what I've read even using the correct technique It's still hit an miss.

Here's some advice that fits in line with what you are thinking from http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/95/sexing-chicks-in-the-backyard-flock

All in all, the best way to sex chickens in the backyard flock is to watch them grow. Feed them, water them, observe them and enjoy them while they mature. As they develop, changes will become obvious as the males will begin to act manly and their voices will change from the chirping common to young chicks to attempted crows. In nearly all breeds of chickens (Sebrights being the exception) the young males’ feathers will also change from the round oval-shaped feathers common to hens and young birds to the shiny, more narrow and pointed feathers found on their necks and at the base of their tails.

Additionally, the combs of the young roosters will begin to develop at an earlier age than they will in females. While this may vary from breed to breed and, in some breeds, might even be difficult to detect a difference; in most breeds of chickens with large combs, this is a very obvious distinction between young roosters and hens as they are maturing. In short, enjoy the birds and watch them grow. This is definitely the most enjoyable method when establishing a backyard flock.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59 »
You can't tell from looking at a chicken's private bits whether its a cockerel or a hen.  It's 'bits' are inside and not easy to sex.

With our Amberlink hybrids its easy to pick out the cockerals at an early age.  They grow their combs very quickly.  We have 3 out of this latest batch, and they are only 6 weeks old.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:01 »
Not just me with the gender issue chooks then!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 17:37 »
Thanks for the advice, you guys.  I'm starting to learn that it's not uncommon for females to change sex due to hormones, gonad changes, etc. but you're all right that judging by behavior Blanche is a dude (and needs a new name).  

And no, mickwood, you're not alone.  What's your gender-switch story?

xx
Cockerel - Not acting quite right- The saga continues!

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 10:11
by joyfull
xx
Continuing saga - Broody chook!

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 15:00
by littlewitch
clip
What gender

Started by zanelewis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2018, 19:23
by Sassy
xx
pol hen 'bending down'

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 09:34
by nic_28

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.