Pecking order...

• 4 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Pecking order...
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:59 »
Oh bless...buttercup, my lovely new banty buff orp, has been with me one night and she's getting it solid from the other 2 girls!  :(

She's very reserved and is basically just looking for places to hide, the other 2 seem to wanna chase her and peck at her (I can't watch). How long will this last? I know they're all just setting the pecking order with a new girl and am keeping an eye out to ensure it doesn't get too rough but when can I expect it to settle?  :roll:

Don't they sell happy chicken pills?  :lol:  :lol:

Vember

Pecking order...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30 »
Have you tried chucking in a few treats Mick?

I know if I've got new girls the first morning when there is a bit of picking on going on I chuck some meal worms down (my answer to everything today :lol: ) by the time they've gobbled all them up they forget a bit about falling out and get on with normal stuff :D

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Pecking order...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33 »
Yeah, I did try that one...worked short term...about 30 seconds!  :lol:

Foxy

Pecking order...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:06 »
she is also a young bird -looks around 14 weeks. I think if I remember you have older hybrids?
You will probably have to separate her for a while in a pen during the day where they can all see each other and get familiar. Place the feeders close to the pen i.e. her feeder close to their feeder on the other side on the chicken wire. This will help them get to know each other but not fight. It is harder  though introducing one bird to 2 other older and established birds.
Good luck! :D

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Pecking order...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 15:57 »
No matey, no hybrids - just a pekin, silkiie and the new orp  :D

Yeah, the new girl is only about 16 weeks. She seems to be OK with the Pekin - just a few odd nips at her feathers to tell her who's boss but the Silkie....ooh sha a BAAAAAD girl! Silkie was bottom and I think she's trying everything to tell the new girl "Your bottom now dear!"  :lol:

I'm keeping one of the old girls in the run while the other is out with the new girl and then swapping the old girls around every now and again. So at least buttercup doesn't get hammered by 2 at once....seems to be workin!?

xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Pecking order

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 17:59
by andy and deb
xx
pecking order

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 09:33
by SMD66
xx
Is this a pecking order ??

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 16:36
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.