Grape Help

• 6 Replies

jmlearoyd

Grape Help
« on: April 28, 2009, 08:14 »
Hello

I'm new to the forum - it looks brilliant.

We have inherited a very old grapevine in a tiny greenhouse on our allotment. We hacked it during the winter to give us some space and blow me, it's shooting and there are lots of little bunches of grapes coming on it.

I have a vague idea that you have to take lots of them off to get any decent ones (the previous owners said they never had a decent crop.....) but beyone that, it's all a mystery.

Do we feed, water, train, hack, prune or what - and how many bunches should we leave on?

Thank you!

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Re: Grape Help
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:02 »
it would help to know what varity as some pefer cane pruning whilst others prefer spur pruning but yes limiting the number of bunches of grapes that form will allow them to reach a useable size, you may even have to thin the actual grapes within the bunch itself. theres a chap on here jay dubah who know alot more about grapes than me, as i am just starting with mine, and will be years before i can start taking grapes off of them

jmlearoyd

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39 »
Thanks for your reply - is there any way to type a grape do you know?

Could be fun!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 19:21 »
If it was me I'd let it alone for now as pruning grapes when they are full growth can lead to sap leakage that goes on for a while.

If you have little flowers/bunches of grapes you could let them grow for a bit and then cut out some with a small pair of pointy scissors to free up some space for each grape to fill out properly. This is helpful whatever variety it is. No need to worry about pollination generally as this just seems to happen with flies, drafts etc.

As the long shoots grow you can train them while they are soft to make a framework, maybe along the bars of your greenhouse maybe. You can tie these to wires but most grapes also self-cling with tendrils.

In the autumn prune back all the shoots to the brown wood (it'll be fine then) as this is where next year's fruit buds will grow (well they do on mine, which is a black hamburgh)

Hope this is helpful  :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jmlearoyd

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12 »
Many thanks. Does anyone feed theirs?

What  makes the difference to the taste? is it just sun?

Ta!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:52 »
Mine gets the occasional blood fish & bone when I throw it that way!! Warmth/sun seems to be the key to sweet grapes, as as ours are much better in hot summers (mind you so am I  :lol:)

jmlearoyd

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:35 »
Well, if last night's news was anything to go by, your nearest and dearest are in for a happy, happy summer!

Have a good bank holiday - I intend to have dirt under my finger nails for the duration

And alcohol in my system for a good proportion

xx
grape

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 21:33
by Yorkie
xx
Any grape experts out there ?

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2014, 20:48
by LilacSandy
xx
Grape vine

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:02
by gobs
xx
grape vine looking bad

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 22:53
by teflon

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 29 queries.