Brushcutter

• 6 Replies

TheSpartacat

Brushcutter
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:55 »
I'm wanting to invest in a Strimmer / Brushcutter to keep tamed the section of my plot that I haven't yet dug. It has a lot of brambles, nettles as well as the usual weed suspects.

I've heard that cordless  electric strimmers and brushcutters don't have a lot of power, and need to be recharged a couple of times to get a whole job done.
There are no power sources nearby for a cable.
So that leaves the petrol option... and those are quite expensive.[/li][/list]

Can anyone recommend a less expensive petrol brushcutter/strimmer that I can find online or in the usual stores?
I was looking at the "Silverline 2-Stroke Brush Cutter Petrol 43cc 267969" but suspicious as to why its cheaper than other brands? Has anyone used this one? Is it any good?

Thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Brushcutter
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 13:09 »
Silverline is a very budget brand. I'd personally avoid anything with that name as in my experience (work used to sell the brand) its likely to break very quickly.  ::)

I've recommended it before and I'm sure I will again. We used to have an old Stihl machine, but it was bigger then we needed here and very noisy!  :ohmy: We changed it for the Ryobi Expand-it strimmer and whilst we don't have or use any of the possible attachments as we had all the other tools before this particular strimmer, they are a useful feature. Its a great little machine and they make a 4 stroke model now too, if you're not so keen on mixing the fuel.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 14:54 »
The company I work for has recently started to stock the Mitox brand so I've had quite a bit to do with them this year. They are a budget brand which is backed up by a very good spares availability, they really are very good value for money. I'd steer clear of pretty much all else.
My only advice would be to throw away the spark plug and replace it with an NGK one instead.
Don't forget, if you want to use a blade on the brambles, you will need to buy a strimmer/brushcutter that has a straight shaft rather than the bent type.
All the Mitox products are two stroke, so you would need to mix the fuel with two stroke oil.

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 19:15 »
LvOt5WBg_iM
kdttingslagor x.JPG
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 19:26 by Swed »
Albert

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 19:32 »
I've been trying to reply, but the pages are jumping around all over my screen... MS-virus I guess...

Since I began opening -all- new tools/machines that I buy and fill them with high quallity lubrication, none, of them, not even an angle-grinder that is of so bad quallity that it will not hold have not broken down (yet).

My prefered lubrication is:
http://www.magnagroup.com/
Omega 77 chassies grease solves most lubrations problems
Omega 99 is ideal when the grease is exposed to high pressure and high heat (a must on sparkplug threads)
Omega 690 80W/90 is the best lubrication for angle-grinder hypoid gearboxes

An option to the chain-conversion presented above is Gator blade on gras-mowers.
100_3185.JPG

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 21:44 »
Neat tools:
http://www.ilsbotools.se/?page=63&id=20

If all goes as planned I'll have an adapter to mount a 4mm short chain (mulcher) on a Stiga Tornado garden mower in a month or so.
Watch the Ilsbo clip on their homepage - awesome brusch clearing!  8)

jezza

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 00:15 »
hi Mitox absolutly not Cheap Chinese dodo better with quality Stihl or husqvarna .Watch were you by strimmers /brushcutters make sure  dealer opens box in front of you theres alot of fake machinery about  i know i was sold  a {sthil} last May siezed in 2 weeks only done 4 hours work  jezza

xx
Strimmer/ brushcutter

Started by Bertie Button on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 19:20
by jezza
xx
ALko brushcutter

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 09:32
by Celtic Eagle
xx
petrol brushcutter

Started by Philby on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 00:29
by jezza
xx
Husqvarna 165 brushcutter

Started by sion01 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 21:05
by sion01

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 36 queries.