Merry tiller Major

• 9 Replies

Richard Davis

Merry tiller Major
« on: May 04, 2006, 21:43 »
Hi All. A simple (hopefully) but important question.  I have recently acquired a Merry Tiller Major and need to know if I can run it on unleaded petrol or if I must use either LRP or an additive.  I have no idea how old it is but I would guess that it dates from the 70s or earlier when it might have run on 2 star.  Help please.  Cheers.   Richard

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Merry tiller Major
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 22:17 »
I run mine on 4 star that you can still get from Sainsbury petrol stations. The engine iis probably briggs and stratton - fairly common and your local garden machinery is likely to know.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Gwiz

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:11 »
you will have no problem running your merry tiller on unleaded it could have run on it from new ( we didnt have it for sale in the UK at the time tho`) IF the machine has not been run on it before tho` you may get a "loosening"  of the carbon in the combustion chamber which MAY cause a problem, unlikely, but COULD happen. as a garden machinery repairer my advice would be to go for it. :D

Richard Davis

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:47 »
Hi John and Gwiz and thanksfor the prompt reply. I moved to France recently and can only get unleaded so looks like I'm ok.  We have a largish vegetable garden here and are looking to enlarge it so the "tiller" will be great.  I'lllet you know how it gets on.

Cheers

Richard

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Merry tiller Major
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:30 »
Thanks Gwiz - that's useful info. You need to be careful (Gwiz) or you'll end up being the full time advice centre here :)

Your next question comes from Paula who would like to know where she can get a drive belt for a  Wolsley Webb Ltd Spartan Rotovator model AC34

As for people who live in France with a large veg patch, wonderful wine weather and cheese... jealous? moi?

Gwiz

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 16:52 »
hmmmm, interesting.... i will have to look into that one on the morrow. as with all these things if i had the belt in my hand i could messure it and get a match. as for advice im more than happy to help if i can. :D

Gwiz

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 17:01 »
thinking about that belt, there is normaly a longer model number (ie ac3421, ac3422 ect ) also often there will be a high AND a low speed belt. stoopid question i know but the belts often have the part number written on them and it dont always rub off........ i have to say that it could be an uphill task getting an original belt.

cheese and wine eh? thats done it, im hungry now. :wink:

p1

rotovator belt
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 20:51 »
Thanks for all the advice.  will try to get more info off of the roto.

Gwiz

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 13:43 »
got any more details yet? im seeing a friend on monday that may be able to help. :wink:

p1

Merry tiller Major
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 19:50 »
thanks for your help with the rotovator belt problem.  we think it is a merry tiller super major.  have downloaded the manual so as we can compare it to the machine. good weekend for lotties.  do you know anything about growing asparagus?

xx
Merry tiller Major

Started by Richard Davis on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 19:30
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller major

Started by lydenburg on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 15:09
by lydenburg
xx
Help with merry tiller, (Major)

Started by newatthis on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 12:44
by newatthis
xx
Merry Tiller 4hp Major

Started by johnp on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 22:02
by bikerjohn

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.