Allotment Incinerator

• 2 Replies

Atom

Allotment Incinerator
« on: January 18, 2021, 15:06 »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to allotmenting. Please forward advice about a good incinerator, the reviews I've read are mostly poor quality so I'd like to begin with a good one. Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment Incinerator
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 21:14 »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new lotty.

I assume you're asking about an incinerator for use just by you on your plot?

Firstly, have you double checked that incinerators / bonfires / burning stuff is allowed on your plots? Sometimes it might be banned completely.

Assuming it's allowed in principle, then I've really only seen one type of incinerator, which is the round metal one which looks like a dustbin with holes in the sides and a chimney lid with a handle on. They can be a little difficult to get going, but once they are underway they're fine.  Make sure you have thick gloves to protect your hands from the heat.

I may be teaching you stuff you already know, but the environmental laws of nuisance apply equally to allotments.  So no smoke or smells are allowed.  Don't try to burn anything which is wet, or you'll only get smoke - which will lead to complaints if you have neighbours, or a road nearby which might have a hazard to traffic.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

Re: Allotment Incinerator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 09:31 »
Depends how much you are wanting to burn I suppose after all the points that Yorkie rightly points out. Some on our site use the tins as Yorkie describes, others use large oil type drums with holes cut in. I’m now seeing a few using washing machine drums for small amounts (there are people making & selling these for about £50  :ohmy:. I think eventually they all burn through, or rust through but that maybe because they are left out in all weathers
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Incinerator

Started by LottyLouis on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 13:41
by snowdrops
xx
Using an incinerator?

Started by Casey76 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 15:35
by arugula
xx
using an incinerator

Started by Bernard on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 09:12
by Bernard
xx
Incinerator ?

Started by Petite graine on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 02:35
by Petite graine

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.