Longhandled shears for weeding

• 10 Replies

Snoop

Longhandled shears for weeding
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:24 »
I'm hoping to get to grips this year with the weeds growing immediately around my plot and in the paths, as well as the beds. Seeds blow in from the land all around us, so I will never have a weed-free plot.

I'll be getting some weed membrane, but have also been pondering on long-handled shears. I currently use short-handled ones to deal with the weeds at a relatively young stage (not too thick or woody), meaning I have to bend down a lot, and anything that can make the task easier would be very useful (and probably mean I'd do it more often).

I've been looking on Amazon to see what's available and they all seem to be for lawns. Would these be suitable for weeds before they get too woody?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

In case it's relevant info (I've seen some reviews on Amazon in which people complain about length of handles and tightness of the blads), I'm 1.55 m tall (about five foot) and have mild arthritis in my hands.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Longhandled shears for weeding
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 13:40 »
I've used long handled edging shears

Mine aren't a posh brand, but they are capable of being maintained with a very sharp edge, and they work fine for that reason - but I move along half-a-bite at a time, and the handles flex a bit. My edges don't have much growth on them, so the shears are not asked to work hard. I don't know how well they would perform if I gave them a huge bite-full to try to cut - I expect the "whip" in the handles would make it hard work.

I've never used the long handed & right-angled head type:

but I expect the flex in the handles might be an issue.

Either way, I've stopped using shears for my lawn edges and now use a rechargeable Flymo Contour strimmer. It has a wheel that I can roll along the edge of the lawn, and the cord strims the edge.  The head of the unit can be swivelled 90-degrees, so can be used as a conventional strimmer (with the head in the horizontal position).

Maybe such a strimmer might suit you better than shears? Definitely no wrist effort (I too have mild rheumatism in my wrists), there is a large handle down the shaft for guiding the strimmer right-to-left and a decent handle at the top for the other hand to take the weight (bigger strimmers that I use also have a chest / shoulder harness to take the weight)

http://www.flymo.com/uk/grass-trimmers/contour-cordless-24v/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 13:42 by Kristen »

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 13:48 »
I have had several types of long handled shears given to me over the years and have never handled any that seem to feel right while working!
As you say on the knees with regular shears or strimmer is probably best !

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 13:51 »
Thanks, Kristen. Have just had a look at the link. Not even hugely expensive, given what it is. Looks like it could be just the job.

8doubles, what was the problem? I foresee fingers knocking together and me ending up with even worse arthritis bumps than I already have.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 14:07 »
Not even hugely expensive, given what it is. Looks like it could be just the job.

If you don't actually need the swivelling head, to cut lawn edges, then there might be cheaper options available?

Probably worth strolling into an outlet that has lots of models to hold them and check for weight etc?

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 14:09 »
The shears do not have the positive feel that hand shears have because of the length and flex in the handles.
Also more movement is needed , you have to open and close the handles further !

Knuckle knocking was not a problem though ! :)

jezza

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 20:33 »
hi the shears shown are only for lawn edging the blades will part if used to cut any thing thicker than grass .hoes are usually used to keep small weeds down    jezza

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 21:14 »
The Wilkinson type right-angled shears are not that good really, they do work, but need to be pretty sharp, and as mentioned here, there's a lot of 'give' when you use them, such that they don't get used much by either of us nowadays.

Perhaps a battery strimmer - for grass and soft weeds only , not brush - may be another option?

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:33 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've had a look at strimmers here. The battery-powered ones are very expensive here and the petrol ones I've seen are far too heavy for me to handle. Next time I'm in the UK I'll have a look in the usual outlets and maybe ask a friend to bring a battery-powered one over. The one you gave a link for, Kristen, is a total bargain in comparison with prices here.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 13:04 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've had a look at strimmers here. The battery-powered ones are very expensive here and the petrol ones I've seen are far too heavy for me to handle. Next time I'm in the UK I'll have a look in the usual outlets and maybe ask a friend to bring a battery-powered one over. The one you gave a link for, Kristen, is a total bargain in comparison with prices here.

Bear in mind that  ni-cad batteries tend to fade and die if not used regularly.

Lithium battery is the way to go if they are available.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 13:12 »

Bear in mind that  ni-cad batteries tend to fade and die if not used regularly.

Lithium battery is the way to go if they are available.
I would endorse that, read battery care instructions carefully. I found it was as cheap to buy a new strimmer than to replace the battery. The next strimmer has a lithium battery.
Anne

xx
How to sharpen shears

Started by Stevie P on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 22:48
by Stevie P
xx
Care for shears?

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 06:06
by Rangerkris
xx
Shears,,problem, really boring but please help

Started by Alex 98 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 11:19
by Gwiz
xx
recommend edging shears?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 06:41
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.