Advice - Seed trays and Gravel trays....

• 1 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Advice - Seed trays and Gravel trays....
« on: February 02, 2014, 16:16 »
Hi all,

I went to buy some equipment for growing onion seeds recently - I wasn't quite sure what to get as I've not started veg off inside before. 

I started by looking at the plastic module seed trays which have holes in the bottom of them, but could not work out what you are supposed to fit the inserts into.  These module inserts are themselves called seed trays, but I would have presumed that these inserts would sit in some sort of tray without holes, to prevent water from going all over the place.  I then found some seed trays, which didn't have module sections, but these also had holes in them.  The only thing I could find in the end was something called a gravel tray, which has no holes in - the seed trays (those with and without modules) fit inside the gravel tray.  Likewise, the propagator lids fit on top nicely.

Is the gravel tray the right thing to buy i.e. is this supposed to be the bottom of the propagator?  In the end I bought some of these gravel trays, propagator lids, but did not bother with the plastic seed inserts - instead got the little compostable individual module pots, which I was going to stand inside the gravel tray.

Also, if you do use these gravel trays with either the plastic seed trays or compostable modules stood inside - do you bother with a layer of gravel?  I can only presume the idea is that the gravel keeps the seed tray insert slightly raised above the bottom of the gravel tray, so that it is not sat in the water which will drain away through the seed tray insert and into the bottom of the gravel tray?

Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice - Seed trays and Gravel trays....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 16:39 »
I just stand seed trays/modules (with holes)  inside the trays (without holes) - no gravel used here.

I find the compostable pots go mouldy if kept damp or dry out too much if you ease up on watering - so I don't use them  :nowink:

xx
Seed trays

Started by Lawrence on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 15:38
by compostqueen
xx
seed sowing trays etc.

Started by Fishplate42 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 14:00
by Goosegirl
xx
Where to buy lots of seed trays?

Started by adri123 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 14:43
by archibtbm
xx
Seed cell trays

Started by mikeimp on Equipment Shed

23 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 20:21
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.