Too Late For Manure ?

• 11 Replies

RichT

Too Late For Manure ?
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:50 »
Im new to growing and need some advice!

So last week I cleared my new allotment from its over grown state and dug it over.  However I am unclear weather its too late to dig in a manure or not ?

I'm going to grow, spuds, leeks, beans, parsnips, cabbages.

I understand that some need manuring, but not fresh especially roots - question is which will be ok to manure now and which wont ?

I'm also chitting my potatoes ready for planting at the begginig of April

Is it to oearly to start of the beans under cloches and the rest in trays in a coldframe ?

any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Richard

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 13:00 »
Advice on it way Richard

Do pop up to the Welcome forum and introduce yourself  :D

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 13:03 »
I would say manure would be alright for everything except the parsnips.  That's if the manure is already rotted down.  I haven't had a chance to manure my plot yet but I'll get it down as soon as the weather improves.  I've also started some cabbages and leeks indoors so they should be ready for planting out when the weather improves.  I don't see a problem starting the beans off just now but you need to make sure they're not getting planted out when there's still a danger of frost.  I'm sure there are others who'll be able to offer a bit more.

RichT

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 13:04 »
Quote from: "gregmcalister"
I would say manure would be alright for everything except the parsnips.  That's if the manure is already rotted down.  I haven't had a chance to manure my plot yet but I'll get it down as soon as the weather improves.  I've also started some cabbages and leeks indoors so they should be ready for planting out when the weather improves.  I don't see a problem starting the beans off just now but you need to make sure they're not getting planted out when there's still a danger of frost.  I'm sure there are others who'll be able to offer a bit more.

Re the beans i was going to plant them out under a plastic cloche, will this protect them from frost or shall I wait another month ?

beansticks

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 13:23 »
Much too early to be planting beans,end of April at the earliest.

RichT

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 13:40 »
so plant and germinate beans straight in the ground at teh end of April  ?

paintedlady

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 14:15 »
Quote from: "RichT"
so plant and germinate beans straight in the ground at teh end of April  ?

er... what kind of beans are we talking?  You can start sowing your broadbeans now, but like everyone says, hang fire with the climbing & runner beans.  On my site, most people sow their peas and beans at home, let them germinate and grow them up before bringing to their plots as pigeons and rodents peck at them here.

Perhaps let us know your location - sowing in April probably not such a good idea in the Scottish mountains, but probably perfect for the far south :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

RichT

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 14:18 »
ok so I can germinate then in seed trays in my cold frame and then plant out in April?

I guess this will give the manure miore time to rot down also ?

I,m in North London so south which should be milder!

Is there anything I can plant straight in the ground or do plants tend to do better germinated at home and then planted out when they are a couple of inches high ?

Hampshire Hog

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 16:34 »
You can start off some leeks in a tray now as they are pretty tough and therefore can be planted out before things such as french beans etc. Wait a month or so and you'll be able to plant onion sets straight into ground.

You could try putting some peas in a plastic gutter then these can go out on plot once weather warms up in a month or so.

Have fun  :)

HH

ps Don't forget search facility at top of page :wink:
Keep digging

compostqueen

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 17:28 »
you can be planting onion sets and shallots now, oh and garlic I think  :D

Clampit

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 19:23 »
I've had some cauliflowers and sprout plants coming along nicely for a couple of weeks now, that is....................... until the dog stood on them and knackered the lot :(  There is also a big paw print in the middle of my leek seedlings :x .
I only put them down for a couple of minutes whilst I moved my mini-greenhouse.
Not to worry, I shall put some more in this weekend. :D
Good luck with the growing mate and you can't go far wrong with the planting times on the seed packets.

FreddieJ

Too Late For Manure ?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 20:16 »
You could try and sow broad beans, mange tout, peas, onion sets directly into the ground around now.  Chard, carrots and early pots next month and then perhaps your beans etc in April.  I'm in south London so it's even milder here...  Good luck.
Freddie

xx
Too late for manure???

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 23:12
by titch
question
Too late for manure?

Started by NewSteve on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 00:58
by spudlover
xx
is it too late to manure?

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 19:33
by nobby90
xx
Chicken Manure - to late to dig in??

Started by rustygman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:24
by Brassica Blaz

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.