feeders in or out

• 8 Replies

audi

feeders in or out
« on: August 25, 2010, 13:44 »
Hi,  In my book it says to put there food inside. but water outside, surely eating dried food they should have water with it at the same time, what does everyone else do? Sorry to be a pest with all these questions but being new to hens I want to get it right and pamper my girls. javascript:replaceText('%20:blush:',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Casey76

Re: feeders in or out
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 13:55 »
Rather than inside, I think they probably mean under cover.

You should not put food or water in the coop. ;)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 14:14 »
Hi, I've made a small 'lean to' (about 2.5' tall and 2' wide x 2' deep) and place the feeder under that to keep the elements away. It has a sloped roof and a bit of felt on top to keep the elements off. Seems to work fine.

The water of course is on open ground.

I never leave either inside the coop.

:)

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 18:07 »
they dont need food in the coop at night, they sleep and poop at night. just make sure you lift the food and put it safe from vermin, slugs etc.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 21:46 »
I have several feeders - some are under cover (old lorry wheel arches and an ifor williams land rover hard top) but others are outside with rain hats on, my coops are not suitable for having them inside. Grannie Annie though has huge poultry houses so she has room for her chickens to roost in there and plenty of space for them to run around in if it is raining and they want to get dry, because her sheds are big she has her feeders and drinkers inside. Ideally their feeders should be outside but protected from the elements as not all of us keep a couple hundred chickens like Annie  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 23:29 »
My drinkers are outside Joy!  Unless they are in the brooder sheds!   :D :D

And you could say that half of the sheds are actually covered verandah's, and that's where the feeders are!  :lol: :lol:

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:08 »
I have feeders inside, so spillages and grain 'bounced' out when pecking, are not left on the ground outside for vermin. Drinkers are outside, or I can guarentee there would be a wet floor. don't forget a container for grit. If I HAVE fed anything outside I make sure I have cleared the outside feeders away well before their bedtime, so they will 'clean up' outside.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:03 »
If you have a small coop for a dozen or so chx then it's intended as a substitute for a secure roost, providing shelter and protection from preditors.  If your nestboxes are there they will also visit it for laying.  Chx browse feed foraging on the land away from their roosts so if you want to imitate a natural environment you should locate their feed and water outside in their runs.  Of course the feed needs to be protected from rain and either you can do as Scabs does which I also do in some runs or have a covered area in the run preferably around the entrance to their house so the entrance is kept dry and inhibits mud from being trailed in.  

If the feed is suspended at hen back height they can reach it without being able to foul it.  If it's hung it will discourage rodents too.  Being close to the pophole in the run they can top up before roosting at dusk and it encourages them in.  Water doesn't need protection and must be securely stood on the ground not suspended so preventing it being knocked and spilt.

Discouraging the chx to visit the house to feed keeps the house cleaner and reduces droppings.

There's no need to co-locate feed and water though it might be convenient.  Birds naturally eat dry food they don't need to dunk it.  When a chx eats the feed it is temporarily stored in a sack called a crop before it is ground up in the gizzard and enters the digestion system.  Grit is needed in the gizzard to help grind the food and effectively it acts as their teeth.  They get this mostly from the ground but if you confine the birds on woodchip for example you should provide grit as a supplement.  Calcium in the form of crushed oyster shell is a soluable grit which supplements a hens calcium requirement for good egg shell quality.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:07 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:34 »
not forgetting the washed, baked and crushed egg shells for calcium should you prefer  :)

xx
feeders

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 08:28
by adi
xx
feeders

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 14:10
by WR1
xx
Feeders

Started by snow white on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 15:14
by Nikkithefoot
xx
what feeders do you use?

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 20:58
by henamoured

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 30 queries.