Away for the Weekend

• 9 Replies

niccid

Away for the Weekend
« on: June 11, 2008, 15:38 »
I am thinking of getting some chooks, but need to stay away from home from saturday morning to sunday afternoon once a fortnight. I would like advice of what you would do. Would they be safe if door was left open and they could come and go in a secure run? And what is the best way to secure a run from burrowing foxes (never seen one, but that doesn't mean they aren't around).

Hope these are not silly questions but I want to do the best by my chooks and do as much question asking as possible before I get them. Thanks.
If you don't buy free-range, CLUCK OFF

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Away for the Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 15:45 »
Hi Nicci

Welcome to the forum.  We're all potty about chickens here and think that getting them is the best thing we could have done.  But speaking personally for me in some ways they've proved to be the biggest commitment out of all my pets as we often are away at weekends so I have had to find a friendly neighbour who doesn't mind letting them out first thing in the morning and putting them to bed last thing at night.  She also goes over during the day to collect the eggs because mine lay during the morning and I don't want the eggs to stay around too long incase my lovely ladies are tempted to eat them!  :shock:

So do you have a neighbour who might be persuaded to do the same?  You could pay them in eggs and they'd only need to do saturday evening, sunday morning.

Good luck  :D

Foxy

Away for the Weekend
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 16:34 »
one night shouldn't be a problem. As long as plenty of food and water to keep them going(I would store in the coop in case the extra attracts vermin) However, no matter how secure I think my run is I would never leave the pop hole open all night. I have automatic door openers for 2 of my big henhouses particulary useful in winter when I may get home after dark.
wells poultry supply them although expensive I find a worthwhile investment for peace of mind.

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/door_opener.htm

niccid

Away for the Weekend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 18:56 »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I asked both my neighbours and both are happy to help out when I need to be away from home.

One neighbour said he had looked after chickens before and the other said she had been wanting to get chickens for a while and would love to help out. So result there then. Thanks again, i'm off to do some more research.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Away for the Weekend
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 19:09 »
I am in Derbyshire as well, so if you hit a problem anytime, perhaps I could help out?
Imogen

niccid

Away for the Weekend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 20:02 »
Thanks Chick (no pun intended, lol)

I might just take up your offer. What chooks do you have and where did you get them?  :)

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Away for the Weekend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 20:19 »
I don't have any (though I WANT them desparately!).  We had loads when I was a kid - bantums and rescued Rhode Island Reds (who were my faves!)

peggyprice

Away for the Weekend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 21:26 »
Which bit of Derbyshire are you in, Nicci?

(and welcome to you and Tigerhair - you're practically twins  :lol: )
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

niccid

Away for the Weekend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 18:17 »
Oh yeah, just spotted that. Joined the same day and both from Derbyshire, lol.

I'm in Ilkeston, which is in between Nottingham and Derby, we are right on the edge of the town with lots of countryside near and a farm just up the road.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Away for the Weekend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 18:55 »
Ashbourne, if you didn't already know.  :) Trying to get allotments up and running here.

xx
Weekend feeders

Started by falcieri on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 10:07
by Sassy
xx
Interesting weekend

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 13:17
by grinling
xx
I've spent the weekend ....

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:06
by Vember
xx
My bank holiday weekend...

Started by Captain_Dingbat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 20:23
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.