potato questions - planning

• 16 Replies

mushroom

« on: September 13, 2007, 23:29 »
hi,

I've got my potato area planned out. Got a couple of questions:

1. What is the best way of ensuring a continuous crop? Is it by planting earlies (then harvest) then mids (then harvest) then lates (then harvest) on the same designated ground, which is then rotated the following year?

Or is it earlies (harvest) then new ground -> mids (harvest) etc

2. What sorts are the best, in your opinion, for each? Our site gets a variety of seed potatoes in. I know from here that Pink Fir is a good one, so am placing those on my order.

3. How many seed potatoes into a 20 ft row? The total area dedicated for spuds is about 20 ft x 20 ft

4. When do they go in? Is the going-in time written in stone, or is there some flexibility?

I am in the climatologically driest part of the country. The soil is a clay loam, if it's any help. The soil hasn't been fertilized, but it has been rotovated and there is green manure (mustard) which is flowering now, and will be rotovated in this weekend.

muntjac

planting spuds
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 23:39 »
20ft by 20ft isnt big enough to really get a lot spuds in ..each row is 2ft wide . with a foot inbetween.at a guess id say 5 / 6 rows will fit .spuds go 12 inch apart . you plant them all at the same time . for this litle space i suggest you get the real heavy croppers .and really manure well about now ready for next spring planting.  dont grow spuds on the same ground for 3 yrs in your rotation plan. do not lime spuds at all . folow spuds with brassica's and then lime 2oz square yard .roots the folowing year . you can supplement spuds by growing them in bags and containers  :wink:
still alive /............

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 23:41 »
It's probably the time of night - it's well past my bedtime, but if you are asking, if you can plant earlies, dig them up, plant mids, dig them up, then plant lates in the same bit of ground, the answer in no.

Here my earlies go in in late March, mids in early April, lates mid to late April. There's no way the earlies would be ready before you need to put the lates in.

I leave 2' between rows, earlies go in 12" apart, mids 15" apart & lates 18" apart. That's how I do it, others will no doubt do it differently.

Varieties - cannot recommend for your soil, you'll have to ask locally, what works for me may not work for you.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mushroom

Re: planting spuds
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 23:48 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
20ft by 20ft isnt big enough to really get a lot spuds in ..each row is 2ft wide . with a foot inbetween.at a guess id say 5 / 6 rows will fit .spuds go 12 inch apart . you plant them all at the same time . for this litle space i suggest you get the real heavy croppers .and really manure well about now ready for next spring planting.  dont grow spuds on the same ground for 3 yrs in your rotation plan. do not lime spuds at all . folow spuds with brassica's and then lime 2oz square yard .roots the folowing year . you can supplement spuds by growing them in bags and containers  :wink:

cheers for the tips Munty (and Dave). This is me first time ever planting spuds. I could make it 30ftx 20ft. I'll go with heavy croppers as suggested. Which one of this list is the heaviest cropper? These types are the ones available to me:

Epicure                  
Foremost                  
Pentland javelin          
Arran pilot              
Rocket                    
Kestrel                  
Nadine                  
Estima                    
Wilja                    
Kondor                  
Desiree                  
King Edward              
Maris piper              
Picasso                  
Cara                      
Charlotte                
Pink fir apple

WG.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:39 »
Isn't it important that they've got some flavour too?  Anything home-grown will likely beat supermarket for flavour but some varieties are much tastier than others, e.g. Pink Fir Apple which is not a high yielder has got superb flavour for all purposes except mashing.

Try this thread : http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1739 or search for both words potato* variet*

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:09 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Isn't it important that they've got some flavour too?  Anything home-grown will likely beat supermarket for flavour but some varieties are much tastier than others, e.g. Pink Fir Apple which is not a high yielder has got superb flavour for all purposes except mashing.

Try this thread : http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1739 or search for both words potato* variet*

That thread didn't seem to end up going anywhere.  Have a look at this..

Taterbase

WG.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:33 »
Good link DD although different opinions & first-hand experience is what makes a forum so much more useful (even if a thread does wander off-subject from time to time - SURELY NOT!).

Taterbase describes Nicola as "The flesh is waxy with an excellent buttery flavour. Use early for salad or leave to mature for larger general purpose."  I could not disagree more strongly ... I got some locally-grown Nicola and they were possibly the worst potato I have ever tasted outside of the USA.  Waxy flesh? - more like PlayDough IMHO.   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 07:46 »
Good link DD although different opinions & first-hand experience is what makes a forum so much more useful (even if a thread does wander off-subject from time to time - SURELY NOT!).

Taterbase describes Nicola as "The flesh is waxy with an excellent buttery flavour. Use early for salad or leave to mature for larger general purpose."  I could not disagree more strongly ... I got some locally-grown Nicola and they were possibly the worst potato I have ever tasted outside of the USA.  Waxy flesh? - more like PlayDough IMHO.   :)

To parody Frank Carson - 'It's the way I grow'em'.

crowndale

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 08:17 »
If I had 20x20 or 30feet to plant spuds I'd be in heaven!  I have around that much space to grow everything!  The main rpoblem with a small space if you want variety is that you get loads of spuds as seed for each variety so I still order the varieties and then share with friends.  I don't get enough spuds to feed a typical british family over winter but enough for us as our main staple is rice/noodles.  This year I squeezed in 4 rows (10 foot long) of earlies and maincrop into around 10 foot wide.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:37 »
try doing the tubs n bags also for added variety :wink:  n u to shurrup confussing the isue or im setiing shaun on ya wiv his leg razor :wink:

i apen to know that thompson morgan are doing a begginers pack for £14 id try that as it contains 6 types and 10 of each spud

mushroom

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 11:53 »

I'm mainly after flavour, and salad potatoes. Pink fir I've got down on the list. Want another 2 types, a salad one and a maincrop big one. My soil seems to be q rich.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 12:07 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

I'm mainly after flavour, and salad potatoes. Pink fir I've got down on the list. Want another 2 types, a salad one and a maincrop big one. My soil seems to be q rich.

Charlotte is a nice salad spud. Picasso & Isle of Jura have recently been recommended on this site as a large spud.  If I can get hold of them, I'll be trying them next year.

WG.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 12:07 »
There is no better salad potato than Pink Fir Apple.

Maincrop for flavour : I'd be looking at Kerrs Pink or Maris Piper if you don't like them so floury (I don't consider Maris Piper to be floury - again I'd disagree with Taterbase on that)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 12:58 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"

I leave 2' between rows, earlies go in 12" apart, mids 15" apart & lates 18" apart. That's how I do it, others will no doubt do it differently.

Me Too
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 22:29 »
Great site Digger Dave (taterbase)

And did you notice that the United Nations have declared 2008 the Year of the Potato?

:lol:

xx
Potato Questions

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 19:58
by DD.
xx
2 potato questions

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 13:24
by Grecian Gardener
clip
Potato questions

Started by seagull121 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2015, 13:26
by seagull121
xx
Pumpkin and potato questions

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 13:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 29 queries.