Walk-in run

• 5 Replies

moomoos42

Walk-in run
« on: November 12, 2011, 18:46 »
Hi,
I'm trying to find a walk-in run for my Gals. I live near Cambridge but all my web search seems to bring places up north or Wales! This means the postage will be high. does anyone know somewhere near Cambridge that sells this type of cage? I saw one on Ebay, very nice with a roof but way out of my price range!! Thanks x x x

compostqueen

Re: Walk-in run
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 21:15 »
I should check out your local shed suppliers as they could build you one. That's what I did, using ideas from pictures I'd seen both on here and on the Omlet web site where they have galleries full of run set up photos

Getting stuff delivered is where all the cost is, so if you could get something made locally it should make it cheaper

Good luck

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 00:00 »
I second the idea of customising another structure. 

I made my walk-in coop out of an old bus shelter.  It had a roof and strong frame, and was enclosed on three sides.  all I had to do was enclose the fourth side (and put a door in it) then build the 'furniture' inside (nest boxes and roosting bars).  Worked out really cheap and meant I could have it exactly how I wanted it.

moomoos42

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 14:08 »
Thank you, i wouldn't have thought about converting something else! we're on the edge of the fens (5 miles of open fields between our house and the next village) so wind proofing is important and a shed with only 3 sides wire may be the answer!  :D

grinling

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 15:55 »
Also remember about rain and snow getting in. BIW cut a hole through a 6X4 shed and built a mesh run out from it. Placed away from wind direction. Or build a run with wood and mesh and put a slatted fence panel to break up wind direction.
Most of the run has a roof so dry indoor run.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 17:41 »
Just don't do what I did! I had a heavy-duty polythene cover on top of my run, stitiched to some plastic clematis mesh. It kept the run beautifully dry, but puddled badly one day after torrential rain....I carefully slid the plastic to one side to empty it, but then the puddle moved and the whole lot emptied in the centre of the run - drenched it more than if there was no cover in the first place  >:(
Moral???? Don't cut corners with cheap alternatives!

grin
walk about

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 09:47
by Foxy
xx
running before I can walk!

Started by newhen on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 19:41
by newhen
xx
running before you walk...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 14:23
by Fifitrix
xx
Constructing a walk in run....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 03:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 35 queries.