turkeys

• 23 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
turkeys
« on: November 12, 2010, 17:53 »
hi, im starting to get a little worried about my turkeys i bought for the table at Christmas. they are getting bigger and bigger by the week but i am concerned that with only 6 weeks left until Christmas day i am worried they wont be big enough. they are currently 13 weeks old and are bronze turkeys. they are being fed on turkey rearers pellets which i was told i should be feeding them. i was told if i wanted them to be ready for Christmas i should get them in August which i did. im not sure if im worrying over nothing, any advise welcome. thanks matt.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: turkeys
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 17:56 »
GrannieAnnie is the lady to tell you about  turkeys. 

She'll be around later :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 23:35 »
You talking about me again?   :lol: :lol: ;)

Our turkeys are 14 weeks today, and are looking good.  They will go onto finisher from next week until culling.  They've been on turkey rearer then on grower, which as different ingredients in them.

I can't remember why, but I think one helps the bone development and the other then helps them put on the meat.  We had one drop dead of a heart attack 2 weeks ago and it weighed 5.5kgs then, so hopefully by Christmas the stags will reach 9-11kgs and the hens a bit less.  Say 7-8kgs.

Are yours all girls?

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:52 »
My turkeys are 16 weeks old and on Smallholder grower/finsher pellets.  Should they be changed onto just finsiher pelllets? They do look a reasonable size at the moment, particularly the male.    :D
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:08 »
i have one boy and three girls, i was hoping to keep the boy and one of the girls to breed from for future years. it must be the growers pellets that make them put on the meat then mine all seem very healthy and strong just not very fat! they are bigger than my ex bats but not as big as i thort they would be. i will have to get them some growers this weekend. what does the finisher do? thanks matt

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 14:05 »
A few interesting articles here.  Some people say put them onto finisher from 12 weeks, Kelly's say from 14 weeks.

http://www.turkeyclub.org.uk/?file=kop3.php

http://www.kellyturkeys.co.uk/kellybronze-turkeys-chickens-default.aspx?m=6&mi=105

I always thought finisher was just to get any medication out of their system, but the chap who had 25 poults from us last year pu them onto finsiher before us and his birds were 1 - 2kgs heavier than ours!

What breed are your turkeys massa?  Maybe they are a slower growing variety?

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 17:46 »
three are bronze turkeys and one is a norfolk black but that was is two weeks younger than the others as i hatched it and thats the one im keeping along with the male.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:32 »
My Turkeys have been on Marriages finishers from 11weeks and they are, like grannies, 14 weeks now.

Here they are at 11 weeks

Regards
HF
Truth through science.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13 »
ill get a pic of mine today to compare! what breed are yours HF ive never seen white turkeys before.

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:34 »
ill get a pic of mine today to compare! what breed are yours HF ive never seen white turkeys before.

I believe they are Kelly's White Plumpies but Grannie would know better as they were sourced from Kellys along with her birds too. They are 4 hens and 2 stags and one of the stags is a very good weight and getting quite a handful to carry now.  They are very friendly and inquisitive birds but I don't think I'll be breeding from them.  Another shot taken at the same time.

HF

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05 »
Here's 2 of mine enjoying a fallen pear... they're about 14/15 weeks old in this photo. 
100_0997a (600 x 341).jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 15:27 »
Yep, they are indeed Kelly's White Plumpies as HF said.  No good trying to breed from them, as their Mum's were artifically inseminated. 

One thing, are you all feeding them adlib?  I have spoken to some people growing turkeys for the first time and they only put out food am and pm, but they need to feed whenever they want.  Ours are on a bag a day at the moment!  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 15:27 »
but you do have quite a lot Annie  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 15:33 »
Not as many as Paul Kelly has!!    :D :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 15:36 »
I'd hate to see his food bill  ::)

angry
Turkeys

Started by coppermaran on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 22:05
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Looking for Turkeys

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 08:09
by joyfull
xx
Turkeys

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 10:13
by geoffwales
xx
turkeys

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 09:06
by joyfull

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.