The Observatory at Hurstmonceux, E. Sussex

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

The Observatory at Hurstmonceux, E. Sussex
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:52 »
 This is a brilliant place to spend the day for old and young alike.  It is all very interactive and very hands-on even for very little ones.  Much of it is indoors, and there are outdoor puzzles, and you can go into the giant telescopes. 
There are many picnic tables and a marquee in case its raining.  Inside there is a cafe if you want to buy drinks or food which is very reasonable and very child friendly. 
A really good and interesting day out.  I guarantee the children will go home tired, I did. Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

Re: The Observatory at Hurstmonceux, E. Sussex
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 21:06 »
Went there last month, found the gardens a bit boring, but the tour round the house was really interesting. The Science Museum bit although child orientated was really good and we thoroughly enjoyed being 'kiddies' again.  Glad to see that a few miles up the road a place called 'Windmill' did have a windmill!!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 21:18 »
Went there last month, found the gardens a bit boring,
You're such a killjoy wighty. :tongue2:
Cheese makes everything better.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 21:06 »
I have sent a PM to Ice on this. The gardens at Hurstmonceux are very run of the mill but if you pay extra you can go on a tour of the house which is very informative. The bit Mrs. B. is referring to is the old GrenwichObservatory  site where Paul and I loved being 'kids' again and playing with various experiements to test our perceptions of hearing, sight and smell. Thoroughly (sp) loved playing with the water. 

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50 »
My sister works at Herstmonceux Castle in the kitchens. We have an ancient family connection with it. Windmill Hill does indeed have a windmill and has not long been done up. There is also a good little refreshment establishment at the back of the Castle called the Lamb Inn, thats at Wartling on the road that takes you across the marshes to Pevensey and Westham (where the Normans landed). Really am getting homesick now......

xx
Wakehurst Place, Sussex

Started by SusieQ on Events and Places to Visit

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 17:21
by Paul Plots
xx
Leonardslee Gardens, West Sussex

Started by FRUITFULL on Events and Places to Visit

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 18:45
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.