Flowers

• 3 Replies

monkeyboysee

Flowers
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:34 »
hi,

1, in an effort to try and brighten up my garden (i had only been in a few months), i set up some old feed containers and put in a load of bulbs i kept picking up. They flowered great, and i cut them back when it got to autumn and they started withering. Will they grow back this year or do i need to plant more? if they do grow back, can i dig them up and replant elsewhere?

2, I just bought a load of shrubs and bulbs etc from poundland, some are already starting to sprout and look healthy, how should i store them until i can plant?
do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: Flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48 »
Bulbs usually come up every year. They may also have split into more bulbs so you can dig them up and move some elsewhere  :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 20:07 »
Mine have been dug up, trampled, snapped and picked all keep growing year after year, so you should be fine. If they don't flower keep them and you should get flowers next year.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 20:11 »
They won't necessarily flower as well as they did this year, especially if you packed them in tight and didn't fertilise the pots (although leaving the tops until the autumn will have helped).  This isn't a problem, as they'll do extra well next year if they only send up leaves this year! 

The other point is to ask what bulbs you planted.  Not everything is hardy (freesias and dahlias, for instance), so you may have had losses over the winter.

You should be able to plant them out in the beds this year: turn out the containers and do your best to disentangle the roots without too much damage.  Alternatively, wait until they die back next winter, lift them and store them somewhere dry and cool to plant out when there's a warm spell and the ground is diggable.

xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.
xx
cut flowers.

Started by Madame Cholet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 18:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet
xx
cut flowers.

Started by sam51 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2019, 16:51
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.