Seedlings

• 19 Replies

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Seedlings
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:23 »
I returned from holiday over a week ago to discover to my delight that several seedlings had popped up. However, whilst I have watched beans pop up and emerge into sturdy looking plants this week, my tomato seedlings still only have two leaves on and my basil, coriander and carrots (inside) look just the same. My lettuce seedlings wilted and died but I think I have discovered the problem on that one. When watering yesterday I used water out of the utility room and have since discovered that, because we have a mixer tap, warm (almost hot!) water comes out first even though we have not used the hot water tap. Therefore I think I probably scalded them. Will start again!

Any ideas about the others, or is this normal?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
Re: Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:06 »
Bump! Because 30 people have read this post but no-one has replied. Surely, with all the tomato growers out there someone must have some idea how long it takes for a tomato seedling to sprout its proper leaves?  ???

Waiting in anticipation  :tongue2:

southwells farm

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15 »
My toms still only have the first leaves on, wouldnt worry about it tho :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:19 »
Please don't bump posts, have you thought that the people who have read may not have felt confidant enough to post an answer?

The second leaves will appear when the plant is ready, (as will an answer on the forum  :lol:)
Seriously, it depends on variety, temperature, light and water etc etc... there is no definite answer.

I have some Incas toms sown on 13th April still with only seed leaves, whereas the others sown at the same time have proper leaves.
I hope this helps

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:28 »
Hi Chris, glad it isn't just me that is worried about my tomato plants. Mine have only the 2 seed leaves plus 2 main leaves but I have seen other postings where people have the first flowers forming. They don't seem to be doing much but I guess they will do so when ready.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:32 »
Apologies for bumping, I wasn't aware that it was a problem on this site, as it often occurs on other forums I belong to. I do realise that other people may not be confident enough to answer, but I did feel that as I have read a lot of good advice on here from members about issues which seem to be more complex than this one, that someone would have had a ready answer.

I am probably being impatient, but I also feel very under confident as tomatoes are notoriously "sold" as being easy enough for kids to grow - and mine don't seem to be growing!  ;)

Thank you very much to the person who did answer my question - I will wait a bit longer before worrying about them. I have the day to myself today so am keen to get my gardening done whilst there are no other demands on my time. It doesn't happen very often! :)

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35 »
Im a newbie to growing veg chris but learnt that i was over watering my seedings  :wacko: maybe your doing the same?  ???

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50 »
Im a newbie to growing veg chris but learnt that i was over watering my seedings  :wacko: maybe your doing the same?  ???

Yes, it is possible as I worry that they are drying out as they are indoors not in a greenhouse. I water every 2-3 days though, rather than every day. Hmmmm. Just been turfing out all the pots where the beans or peas have rotted rather than grown too - maybe that's due to overwatering as well. Also discovered one solitary seedling in the chive pot where I had sown the remains of a packet. Looking at it, I don't think it is a chive seedling - I think it is a stray tomato seed!  ::) so I have put it in a pot on its own and we will see what it turns into!! I do like surprises!  :tongue2:

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:59 »
Noone can tell you when they will sprout their next leaves, as we don't know when they were sown, what nutrients they have had, what the weather was like, etc etc.

They will grow when they are good and ready.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 13:05 »
Noone can tell you when they will sprout their next leaves, as we don't know when they were sown, what nutrients they have had, what the weather was like, etc etc.

They will grow when they are good and ready.

No I realise that, but just wondered if there was a guideline as to when things should be happening. It often says on the seed packet something like "germination can take place within 14-21 days" so I wondered if I should expect the second lot of leaves within a set time from when the seedlings popped up. These seedlings were sown in pots of compost indoors and kept in the utility room where it is warm but not over-hot.

I am off to do some sewing now to take my mind off of the fact that my seedlings are not growing quickly enough!  ::) Perhaps if I am not watching them ........................... :tongue2:

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 16:48 »
Blow me down!! I have just stopped sewing to have a cuppa, and took a walk around the garden to check on the pots of seedlings I had left outside today to get some warm sunshine. Wouldn't you know it - I can just spot some tiny proper leaves sprouting on the tomato plants - they definitely weren't there this morning!

Can't say the same for the basil etc though - they look exactly the same!

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 16:54 »
Nice one m8ty,now stop looking at them  :lol: wont grow any faster lol

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 17:00 »
I would say take care with your watering Chris. A pot can look dry but if you lift it you can usually tell if it's too light. If you used soilless compost the pot will be light as a feather if dry. Also, I have four varieties of Tomato going and they are all at different stages,from just seed leaves to three pairs, so don't worry. Once the weather is consistantly warm things will romp away, at the moment we are still having sharp night frosts (not everyone will know this but I get up at 4am and have to de-ice the car to go to work! :lol:)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 17:19 »
I would say take care with your watering Chris. A pot can look dry but if you lift it you can usually tell if it's too light. If you used soilless compost the pot will be light as a feather if dry. Also, I have four varieties of Tomato going and they are all at different stages,from just seed leaves to three pairs, so don't worry. Once the weather is consistantly warm things will romp away, at the moment we are still having sharp night frosts (not everyone will know this but I get up at 4am and have to de-ice the car to go to work! :lol:)

I have planted the tomatoes in newspaper pots so it is fairly easy to tell if they are too wet or not - think they needed a bit of sunshine! (Don't we all?!!)

andy135

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 17:40 »
My Inca's are also very slow to produce 2nd leaves. My Marmande and Zucchero plants look as though they are a few weeks older, although they were all sown at the same time. The better weather over the next week should make a good bit of difference to growth rate.
I've just potted all my toms up into 3" pots with potting compost. That should give them a boost also.

You can't rush nature.  :)

xx
Seedlings

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 11:34
by joyfull
xx
Too hot for seedlings!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:59
by garddwr bach
xx
My very first seedlings are through!

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 08:16
by DD.
xx
seedlings

Started by Shelley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2006, 12:22
by comic_muse

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 40 queries.