Kale?

• 23 Replies

maxie

• Experienced Member
Kale?
« on: August 13, 2013, 15:49 »
Ive got some non heading kale in (god knows how i ended up with these seeds) i wanted a load of plants in for my hens over winter,but because they are non heading,water sits in the middle and they are dying of rot.
Can i still get some decent sized kale plants sewing from seed now?

compostqueen

Re: Kale?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 15:54 »
There are all sorts of kales which will have varying sowing times

Do you mean frilly kales?  I've got some purple frilly stuff but it's not rotting. Maybe you need to improve your drainage  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 16:01 »
I wondered what variety it was, as well?

Anyhow, you are a few weeks late to sow, but I reckon unless winter arrives suddenly you'd still get some decent plants if you sow now  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 16:04 »
Actually, kale thrives in cool weather so sowing some now with protection over the worst of winter will keep them growing for you.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 16:19 »
I've never grown kale, but if I understand you all correctly it's a good over-wintering crop?  And it'll keep growing even in the weak light and low temperatures of a temperate climate, in winter?  And that it's edible???  Wot, steamed??

Sounds like a supercrop.  And I haven't been paying enough attention all these years!

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 16:23 »
I've never grown kale, but if I understand you all correctly it's a good over-wintering crop?  And it'll keep growing even in the weak light and low temperatures of a temperate climate, in winter?  And that it's edible???  Wot, steamed??

Sounds like a supercrop.  And I haven't been paying enough attention all these years!

Tom

Yes it tolerates our cooler winters and even keeps growing up here where there can be barely six hours daylight at the shortest time of the year. ;) As long as you get it sown up and plants growing big enough before the summer deteriorates too far.

And.. it tastes great. :D My favourite is black kale - nero di toscana but we're growing russian red kale this year with brilliant results and it's tasty too. For a more summery kale - a bit late now - you can't go far wrong with kailaan which isn't dissimilar to pakchoi. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 16:49 »
Thanks, arugula.  So a rugged leaf crop which can be steamed.

Should be able to produce strong transplants down here in time.  And here on the South Coast even an air frost is a big talking point in Winter!

Best wishes

Tom

seaside

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 19:26 »
Steamed kale is best, and I recommend that with sesame and soy sauce... and it really is the perfect Autumn/Winter brassica. It just keeps going, and then presents you with the sweetest of young growth in the Spring. I can't believe it has such a small niche in the food market... it's so easy to grow... maybe because it's a labour intensive continual cropper that doesn't suit the industry. I think it might have been considered related to animal fodder in the past.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 19:44 »
The variety was "siberian" with it being non heading rainwater seems to sit in the centre of the plant and start rotting and kill the plant,maybe its been too warm for it as its supposed to be very cold hardy.
Think ill just buy some heading kale plants and give them a go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 19:54 »
The variety was "siberian" with it being non heading rainwater seems to sit in the centre of the plant and start rotting and kill the plant,maybe its been too warm for it as its supposed to be very cold hardy.

I don't understand what you mean by heading?
Siberian Kale grows the same as any kale I've ever seen, with loose leaves. Kale doesn't grow a head like a cabbage  :unsure:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 20:14 »

I don't understand what you mean by heading?
Siberian Kale grows the same as any kale I've ever seen, with loose leaves. Kale doesn't grow a head like a cabbage  :unsure:
No central stem then,any kale ive ever grown before grows upright like a brussel plant,this stuff just seems to open out into leafs,it grows well then just seems to start to rot off from the centre.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 20:40 »
Thanks for the explanation, maxie, as I don't know the crop, but it does seem to be growing abnormally, from what you say.  Any number of reasons for that, including weak seed.

Thanks also to mum for indicating what I should expect.  As a newbie to kale I haven't got a clue.

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 23:00 »
I sow 2 lots of Tuscan kale (outside in seedtrays) ; one in March, one in August/September and plant out a couple of months later.
The Spring sowing is starting to crop now and stands over Winter to give a bit more in Spring but the late sowing survives the Winter as small plants then goes mad in Spring. I was harvesting until June!!
 It tastes good, is really healthy and it doesn't seem to be attractive to slugs/pigeons/caterpillars either!
Deffo a very useful plant!!!

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:14 »
I dry mine in the dehydrator with a bit of salt for kale 'chips', also dry some to add to winter soups. My sister chops it up fresh and adds it with potatoes for mashed potatoes.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:39 »
I was wondering about kale for my first early bed - is it best to direct sow or to sow in trays / modules first? Thanks  :)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

xx
Kale help!!

Started by petersson on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 09:33
by petersson
xx
Kale help ????

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 16:35
by RichardA
xx
How much Kale can I cut now?

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:28
by Kiki
xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.