Raised beds and spacings

• 11 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Raised beds and spacings
« on: May 31, 2011, 20:20 »
I have installed raised beds throughout on my allotment - 7 are 8ft long, 4 ft wide, another 7 are 13ft long, approx 4ft wide.
I have read several times that having raised beds means that you can plant closer together - but I've not yet had an explanation why- should I be planting closer than seed packets recommend - any ideas? thanks
Phil

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Raised beds and spacings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 20:31 »
Choose crops that don't sprawl such as a greyhound cabbage for example.  You can plant them closer together if you want to, no law says you have to.  But, in mine. if the seed packet says 12" between plants I put them 8" apart.  The space between rows is the same at 8".  

This way, you might get a lesser crop but that is made up for in having more in the space to begin with.  Honestly, I havn't noticed any reduction of crops at all.  What you lose on the paths is made up for in the planting.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 22:14 by Ice »
Cheese makes everything better.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 21:56 »
I agree with Ice in that plants in raised beds can be grown closer together than normal. IMO this is because raised beds are easier to manage and tend including preparing the beds, planting out, feeding, weeding etc. They are also easier to protect from pests using netting and mesh. Crop rotation is also easy to manage.

Having said the above the only reason I use raise beds is due to poor drainage using the gravel pathways to drain the water away via an underground drainage system.

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:15 »
Depending how deep the beds are you can plant pretty close.  The raised bed allows the roots to go deeper, especially is the soil is not compacted at all - hence having the bed small enough to walk around, instead of on! The roots just go down instead of spreading out. It also helps minimise weeding (my unfavourite job!)
You will need to feed and water a bit more of you've got free draining soil or loose compost.... Enjoy!  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 22:27 »
I echo the above but I also  do alternate spacings so pack more in. If the first row across the bed has 8 plants, the next row is a bit closer than normal and has only 7 plants, fitted in between the first row. The 3rd row has the 8 plants spaced as the first. I find roots have more spreading room and I get more plants fitted in.

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 22:54 »
As well as all the other things, because your raised beds are only four feet wide you won't need to leave space between rows, either of the same crops or between different crops, for weeding or harvesting. That gives your quite a bit of extra space.

We 'stagger' rows of the same thing too, same as Trillium. Each plant is the 'planting distance apart diagonally. A bit like this (hope it works) :-
x  x  x  x  x  x  x  x
  x  x  x  x  x  x  x
x  x  x  x  x  x  x  x

If we're planting "enemies" close to each other we separate them with a few French Marigolds.

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:25 »
Thanks for all the answers...It's good to hear that I'm doing the right thing.
The loose soil encouraging vertical roots sounds logical too!

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:24 »
I agree with all of the advice above, I would like to add that watering and feeding in raised beds mote affective. I grow 5 squashes in my 10x4 raised beds with good results. if I were to follow the packet instructions I should only be growing 2 squashes. I sink a plastic water bottle next to the squash into which I water and feed. :D

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:28 »
You can also plant between rows.
Pea's 2ft between each row and lettuce in the gaps.

stompy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:31 »
Lettuce is a good one for inter planting as it doesn't like hot weather or full sun.

I grow them between the brassicas.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27 »

You (normally) don't walk on raised beds so soil compression is kept to a minimum.  8) Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Gandan57

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 22:45 »

I planted my parsnips and onion sets in blocks then planted cabbages in the rows. Now I can only look on from the outside path!
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

xx
Plant spacings in raised beds

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 12:09
by John
xx
raised bed growing spacings!!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 08:54
by senrab_nhoj
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2006, 18:42
by John

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 32 queries.