Renting out rotovator

• 8 Replies

TINTIN

Renting out rotovator
« on: March 19, 2013, 15:40 »
I am considering renting out my small rotovator and mantis tiller to other plot holders on my site. Has anyone done this? If so what are your experiences.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Renting out rotovator
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 15:49 »
No experience of it.

People on our site lend you their stuff.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

grendel

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 19:56 »
try it on a lend basis with the borrower leaving it with a ful tank of fuel - then no cash changes hands
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yana

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 20:30 »
When a friend wanted to borrow my chain saw (see that .... MY chain saw, not the OH's chain saw) all I asked was that the chain be replaced if it had taken a beating as I knew the friend was cutting down a couple of very big trees. Came back in perfect condition with a new chain!
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44 »
I think it could be perceived to be a bit cheeky!

On my last site, my plot neighbours were quite friendly, one mowed the grass pathways for me as he knew I didn't have a way of doing it, and then he offered me to utilise his rotavate too. I used to share my tools that I left down there with a couple of other people who didn't have anywhere to store theirs either.

On my new site, I've already offered my next door neighbour who I know has a plot and is perhaps struggling for tie to borrow my rotavator.

Personally, I think it could get very problematic with hiring out your equipment as opposed to sking someone to pay for the fuel they use, or like the replacement chain above etc.

smud6ie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:11 »
I repair machinery and when I see some of the stupid things that have been done to them I would never loan anything mechanical out. After lending, some problems may not surface until the next time they are used in earnest  which my be some time after their return so apportioning blame can be awkward.
I don't lend to family or friends but will offer go and use the machine for them for free.
smud6ie

Yana

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:15 »
I repair machinery and when I see some of the stupid things that have been done to them I would never loan anything mechanical out. After lending, some problems may not surface until the next time they are used in earnest  which my be some time after their return so apportioning blame can be awkward.
I don't lend to family or friends but will offer go and use the machine for them for free.
smud6ie
I can see the sense in that Smud6ie, but doesn't that end up with you having a lot of extra work? Do you have difficult convo's when you don't have the time/don't want to do the job?

smud6ie

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33 »
Extra work? yes but the offer is not always taken up and when it is a favour is often returned ,we live very rural so someone driving to fetch a part is quite a help.
smud6ie

Pilko

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07 »

I can certainly see the sense in that. Last year, at his pleading requests, I lent an allotment neighbour my Mantis. It was full of fuel so I asked him not to run it right out explaining how when a two stroke runs out of pre-mixed fuel it also runs out of oil.
He took it and straight away was throwing it about like a man possessed, full throttle, allowing the tiller to run away until it jumped 18 inches high before slamming back down to earth again and again. Needless to say I wandered over and explained how to work the machine properly (he initially had said he used one every year). I then had to leave the site for a pre-arranged meeting. Returning a short time later my machine was laying on its side in the dirt and the neighbour was using another borrowed Mantis.
The long and short of it was it wasn't returned so I had to fetch it. Completely muddied up, out of fuel and with a broken silencer (bespoke engineered because of local housing). There was only one loser, me. The old lad wouldn't even clean it when I pointed out its’ condition.

xx
Renting a rotovator

Started by waltong on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 07:19
by perrinal
xx
Help with my rotovator

Started by Bodmin29 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 08:39
by Topscaff
xx
Rotovator

Started by rainman on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 16:09
by Swed
xx
Rotovator ID

Started by Dragonfly on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 21:12
by Dragonfly

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 38 queries.