Auctions

• 9 Replies

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Auctions
« on: February 15, 2012, 18:03 »
I went to my local chicken auction today as usual, i was horrified to see ex-batts for sale i cant belive that someone is making a profit out of those poor chucks who will in all most probability  end up being eaten,  >:(
Chicken crazy

Goldfinger

Re: Auctions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 18:26 »

:ohmy: Ex-batts for sale!!??   :blink:

I would've thought an 'official' would've stepped in and said something knowing that they should be given away etc!  >:(

Don't know whether to be sad or angry, money grabbing **&^%$!

And whilst on about auctions..

Anyone in the North East, been to the one at Hexham Mart??

I Think there's one due soon.

What are they like??

Apart from needing nerves of steel.  :blink:

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:23 »
It could be a farmer trying to sell them. I have heard that they only get pennies for them when they are sold for pet food. If someone buys them for whatever eggs they have left then why not. Better than being the cats dinner

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 15:16 »
It could be a farmer trying to sell them. I have heard that they only get pennies for them when they are sold for pet food. If someone buys them for whatever eggs they have left then why not. Better than being the cats dinner

Think you might be right Geo.  We know someone with a free range hen farm and they do get paid very little when replacing their hens.  Then they have to pay for the transport etc. so they end up out of pocket.  At the moment the business is not making any profit as the Supermarkets pay rubbish prices even for genuine "free range" eggs.   >:(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 16:30 »
Yes, if it is the farmer trying to sell a few, I can't blame him.  People we knew in Essex who have a chicken farm were only paid 10p each for their spent hens, but since then someone said they havae to pay to have them carted away!

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 18:22 »

What's the world coming to?  :(

Just knowing what the supermarkets are paying growers and then what they charge us winds me up!  :tongue2:

I would be willing to pay a little extra for example milk, if I knew that the farmer would get that bit of cash.

I used to work on a farm and all you heard was 'milk prices down (again), xxx has gone down in price', yet the cost to us is a joke! :( 

davelambo

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 20:01 »
My local fur and feather auction regularily has ex batt hens up for auction.
Last month they were selling for £1 for a cage 4. :ohmy:
Not much interest in them at all, there were around 20 cages of them too.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 22:11 »
is there chicken auction in southeast( hampshire/Romsey )?
where can i get info for auction?
cheers

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 23:09 »

Just knowing what the supermarkets are paying growers and then what they charge us winds me up!  :tongue2:

I would be willing to pay a little extra for example milk, if I knew that the farmer would get that bit of cash.

I used to work on a farm and all you heard was 'milk prices down (again), xxx has gone down in price', yet the cost to us is a joke! :( 

I agree Goldfinger.  The wholesale price being paid to the farmer for his eggs are around 60p a dozen!  I know the packing stations are in the middle there, but the shops are still selling them for approx what £2.50 a dozen?     

But don't get me up on my soapbox!  It's too late at night and I may fall off! lol

Goldfinger

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 17:27 »

I agree Goldfinger.  The wholesale price being paid to the farmer for his eggs are around 60p a dozen!  I know the packing stations are in the middle there, but the shops are still selling them for approx what £2.50 a dozen?     

But don't get me up on my soapbox!  It's too late at night and I may fall off! lol

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.... you got to these days.

xx
poultry auctions

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2013, 14:11
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
Poultry Auctions and shows

Started by Aunt Sally on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 09:57
by MidlandBrewer
xx
Buying poultry at auctions......your thoughts

Started by Fannyann on Chicken Chat

34 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 00:08
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.