Frogs and frogspawn taken over pond

• 8 Replies

mrs mud

Frogs and frogspawn taken over pond
« on: February 19, 2012, 19:44 »
I am new to ponds having bought the house just two months ago

We have a pond, it appears to have one large (10 inch) black goldfish.  A few days ago I noticed a large mass of spawn, say the size of a melon.  Yesterday I saw 15 or more monster sized frogs going daft in the pond, darting about like crazy.  Today another mass of spawn has appeared and the frogs have taken over, it's crammed with them.  I don't want to interfere with nature so I am leaving them to it, however I am a tad (ha ha sorry) worried about the one fish.  Will he be ok.
"Potters always play dirty!"

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Frogs and frogspawn taken over pond
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 20:02 »
The fish is big enough to avoid the amorous embraces of any over enthusiastic male frogs, he will be just fine  :D

The later the fish will eat  alot of the tadpoles as they leave the spawn, and have  areall good feed.

Black birds love these too btw

We haven't got any spawn yet, so  am bit envious  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

spottymint

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 21:53 »
If only you wern't so far away, O/H would love it.

He rescues the frogs spawn every year, so the fish can't eat it, hatches & raises them in a tank, till frogletts & releases them back to the wild life pond.

We did have a small barbel (grey flecked colour) the frogs did crush that, but never goldfish.
I'm sure the fish will be fine, same can't be said for the tadpoles, but then, that's nature.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 00:01 »
You would be surprised the size of fish an amorous frog can grab.  We have a fantail which has a body about the size of a tennis ball and a frog took a fancy to it.  It was really difficult to get it off as they tighten their grip if you try to remove them.  I covered its nostrils and mouth and after a while it let go.  Both fish and frog survived.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59 »
You would be surprised the size of fish an amorous frog can grab.  We have a fantail which has a body about the size of a tennis ball and a frog took a fancy to it.  It was really difficult to get it off as they tighten their grip if you try to remove them.  I covered its nostrils and mouth and after a while it let go.  Both fish and frog survived.

They can also breathe through their skin . :)

A dollop of frogspawn can be put into open water butts and will happily keep it clean and grow into froglets.
When you dunk a watering can in to fill it they (mostly) get out of the way.
I often move spawn and taddies to new homes if they get overcrowded.

mrs mud

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:08 »
Thanks everyone

I hate to boast but yet another large dollop of spawn has emerged  :blush:

The black goldfish, or maybe a fantail, is darting about, he is about the size and colour of the frogs and I just watched a frog following him around the pond, oh dear, I wish he had a buddy, ie, safety in numbers  :(

Four frogs are wrapped around each other in a very odd way, I dread to think, is it three males and one female  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:40 »
Three to one is usual, it amases me that there are still males looking for a mate.  Seems to be a shortage of females every year.  They will grab on to anything that moves so best just to check your black fish when ever you can.

The frogs haven't arrived in our pond yet.  They were early last year but we are still getting frosts and the pond is frozen for days on end.  Our fish are very active and I have been feeding them already when the pond is not frozen.  They are not normally interested in food until the beginning of April.

Rats

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 19:15 »
i had a fish grabbed last year, frogs can and do kill fish when this happens so keep a close eye on it

spottymint

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 21:29 »
Frogs have been croaking here, O/H is on "frog watch".

He's straight out in the garden every morning checking.

He reckons, maybe 20 frogs, 4 pairs, so far.  :)

So long as they stay out of my way, thats fine. Can handle most animals/lizards, but not phibs.

xx
Frogspawn help!

Started by Elaine G on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 15:51
by Flowerpower136
xx
Frogspawn frozen

Started by hubballi on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 13:23
by 8doubles
xx
Where are my frogs?

Started by gremlin on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 13:59
by Elvira
xx
Frogs on the march...

Started by Growster... on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 00:06
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.