letting off steam

• 29 Replies

wildwitchy

Re: letting off steam
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 23:07 »
I'm sorry, but speaking from bitter experience, there are some men, my neighbour included, who seem to think that a woman (or in my case woman and adult daughter) is fair game to prove his masculinity by trying to dominate and control.  For over twenty years we have had problems with him and have found our only course (can't afford legal) is to go to the correct council authorities.  Both he and we own our own houses but there are still legal requirements that the council can deal with.

I can totally empathise with you. We're in a similar situation. Lived in house for 14 yrs. Neighbours on one side are great, lovely irish lady with a very big family, down to earth & she always knows I'm here if she wants help (shes been ill & is getting on a bit etc), but give each other space etc. The other side....I could quite happily murder them. They moved in about 5 yrs ago. They're a very "traditional" set up. She walks 5 paces behind him when they go out. He does the DIY sort of, she does the cooking & cleaning. They're in their late 50's. Things got worse over a boundry issue with us and totally broke down when he called me a f*****g c**t because i showed him on our deeds the boundary belonged to us and we would put a new fence up & remove the old dying privet hedge he loved so much!

He hates us with a vengence because we're modern. I do the DIY, hubby cooks (he's a trained chef anyway!), he'll hang out the washing while i'm fixing something or painting! We've had the police, the council, solicitors,surveyors, you wouldn't beleive the hassle the two of them have caused us. He's reported me for causing rats cause of the chickens, called the police on us (mind hubby did say he'd rip his head off  :mad:, lol), the police told him not to waste their time, we put our rubbish outside our house & he decided to pick the bags up & throw them back on our driveway (which split open) because we're not allowed not put them on the "council grass verge near his house"  :lol: :blink: We had to see the dustmen about that one - who promptly told him to go and "do one".

We want to move as we've had enough of them. Somewhere nice and rural with no neighbours thanks. So i can have as many cockerels,chooks,geese as i like and put my god damn rubbish anywhere!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:06 »
Neighbours really do make or break a good home!  ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 14:22 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 02:57 »
You're lucky it was only the council who were contacted. One of my neighbours called the police about me. She complained that I was firing off a rifle and shooting up the road sign. The police sargeant was suitably embarrassed when I told him we'd been using a pneumatic nailer (attached to our compressor) to nail in new hardwood flooring. As for shooting up the sign, I told him I expected him to get her for gross exaggeration and wasting police time. It was my lucky day when a year later she moved.  :D :tongue2: :D :tongue2: :D

Poolfield2

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 21:46 »
You're lucky it was only the council who were contacted. One of my neighbours called the police about me. She complained that I was firing off a rifle and shooting up the road sign. The police sargeant was suitably embarrassed when I told him we'd been using a pneumatic nailer (attached to our compressor) to nail in new hardwood flooring. As for shooting up the sign, I told him I expected him to get her for gross exaggeration and wasting police time. It was my lucky day when a year later she moved.  :D :tongue2: :D :tongue2: :D

I like that story :lol:

Livinhope

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19 »
Our revolting neighbour does sit in his garden firing a rifle at anything that moves.  Our cats have to be house cats because we know that they would be shot.  Five years ago he applied for permission to build an extension, we objected to two storeys because it would have cut out all the light from the back of our house and conservatory.  Our objection was upheld so he build over the boundary line on our ground.  That took me to a solicitor which cost £800 but he had to remove the wall or go to court, a case which he would not have won but would have had to pay our cost as well as his own.  Since then the hassle has been much worse and now the Env. Health are involved.  We can't afford and don't want to move, we've lived in this house for 36 years.

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 23:41 »
Our revolting neighbour does sit in his garden firing a rifle at anything that moves.  Our cats have to be house cats because we know that they would be shot.  Five years ago he applied for permission to build an extension, we objected to two storeys because it would have cut out all the light from the back of our house and conservatory.  Our objection was upheld so he build over the boundary line on our ground.  That took me to a solicitor which cost £800 but he had to remove the wall or go to court, a case which he would not have won but would have had to pay our cost as well as his own.  Since then the hassle has been much worse and now the Env. Health are involved.  We can't afford and don't want to move, we've lived in this house for 36 years.

I do hope you added legal support to your home insurance policy before this started?

Livinhope

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 10:30 »
I honestly don't know whether we have it or not, with hindsight I suspect that we have (the 'we' is my daughter and myself).  I'm a widow and I was so screwed up at the time I never even thought about it. I just wanted him sorted out because we would have lost a sizeable piece of our ground if he had claimed the full length of the garden based on what he pinched at the top.  By the way, the extension is still in the process of being built, it was started in April 2006.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 01:23 »
Sounds like an historic monument!  :lol:

Livinhope

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 10:49 »
Don't say that, it might get a listed building order slapped on it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 16:00 »
Don't say that, it might get a listed building order slapped on it.

Well if it does (even if it's not completed) you could always open your garden for viewing it from a distance - and you could sell teas!  :lol:

Livinhope

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 21:44 »
This is not any sort of sour grapes or bitchiness, it really is the most apalling eyesore, pitched roof next to flat roof piping sticking out here there and everywhere.  I know this is not popular but thank heavens for my leylandii  :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 00:58 »
This is not any sort of sour grapes or bitchiness, it really is the most apalling eyesore, pitched roof next to flat roof piping sticking out here there and everywhere.  I know this is not popular but thank heavens for my leylandii  :tongue2:

When / if the problem is ever sorted you will be pleased to know that leylandii burn amazingly well!  ;)

When we chopped ours down there was almost a need to call the fire brigade!!  :lol:

Livinhope

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 13:05 »
That's reminded me.  Two years ago we topped ours down to about 8 feet.  Next day I had a letter from Env. Health saying that someone had complained about us having bonfires.  It was obvious who had complained so I rang the letter writer and informed him that we had not had a bonfire for over 12 months, and invited him to come and see for himself.  Result was he was quite happy for us to burn the cuttings and neighbour has dropped himself in it because anything he says now wont be believed.

wildwitchy

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 14:01 »

When / if the problem is ever sorted you will be pleased to know that leylandii burn amazingly well!  ;)

When we chopped ours down there was almost a need to call the fire brigade!!  :lol:

I know I put some on our open fire from someone- never again. It's all the resin in it. :ohmy:

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 21:34 »
i have now moved house and have a long drive... 
 :)

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.