Poultry starter kits??

• 5 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
Poultry starter kits??
« on: March 19, 2012, 21:01 »
Is it worth buying a poultry starter kit from somewhere the onew i was looking at are about £70 pounds? I worry if i buy everything separate ile forget things or spend way too much. opinions please  :) 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Poultry starter kits??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 21:22 »
Hi Dawn, me again!

I may get shot down in flames here, but in my opinion, with the 'starter kits' I've seen so far, I think most of them are overpriced, and you sometimes find that something like the feeder or drinker is too small or of an inferior quality and in a couple of weeks you find yourself buying another one!

What sort of starter kit is it?  The one where you get a feeder, drinker, wood shavings, pellets and grit or oyster shell?

If you feel worried that you may forget something should you buy stuff separately.  Write down the list of what's in the starter kit, then go out or google the same stuff online separately and see how it compares. 

We were going to do starter kits when my OH was going to build coops for people.  I took the prices from local suppliers and online and found that the mark up was horrendous at times, although £70 doesn't sound too bad, depends what you get for it.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 21:30 »
http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/complete-starter-kit-202-p.asp

dont know if ive done this right lol but this is the one i was looking at

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 21:58 »
I've actually gone through prices for these items on Ebay, and that's actually not a bad price, depending on what the delivery is.

But you could probably get them cheaper locally.  Like they sometimes charge silly prices for the feed scoops, whereas all mine came from the pound shop and still going strong after 5 years.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 23:34 »
Hi i'v looked at that package and think its a bit pricey  :ohmy: you can find the same feeders on e-bay with free delivery, and i also got my scoops from £1 shop realy its down to persanal choice  ??? I sell pet food and do simlar deals for dogs and cats and know that if bought indivigualy you could save big time  ::)
Chicken crazy

cheekychick22

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 21:26 »
ive just brought a starter kit it came with everything i needed including treats and the four hens it helped me out big time as i was so confused i have added to it as well but so far so good

xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
new starter

Started by chrissychooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 12:14
by Jeanette
xx
new starter

Started by Gary on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 18:44
by Gary
question
Starter kit

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 17:04
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 39 queries.