Three chickens sat on a perch , one says "can you smell fish"

I`ll get my coat. :)

:D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: Stinky fishy run :(
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 19:09 »
Not sure about adding lime, will reduce pH, and I always think the higher the better for seeing off nasties?  Don't know, need a boffin . . .  HF, where are you?
I know that you can apply lime to kill off any worms that may infest the birds when they stay on the same ground for any length of time.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Flowerpower136

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 12:48 »
Flowerpower, it's the other way around - liming increases pH (reducing acidity) and a lower pH (more acid) generally inhibits bacteria - but it's a big generalisation.

:tongue2:  Oops, that's what I meant!  Liming reduces acidity of soil, which isn't always a good thing, unless growing brassicas . . . . . :D 

Personally, I'm very keen on acidic soil, love Acers and hate sprouts. :lol:

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 21:05 »
Not sure if this helps, but where I work we have a piece of machinary that has a "waste trap" under it. This get full of mud/water etc and it has to be cleaned out all the time - this gives off a really strong Fish smell (stangnant water / mud mixed up) - there is nothing else that goes through it that causes the smell so I assume it's to do with the mud/water standing. Could the ground be very wet and doing the same kinda thing in your run?

Toni

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 12:15 »
Hi  :)

The smell seemed to have disappeared but I dug the run over anyway. When digging I noticed the bit on the corner where the rain gets in was a bit smelly so I reckon as francais said it must have been stagnant rainwater.

The run smells fine again now but it seems even more lumpy and the girls have dug a trench around the inside edge, monkeys, I'll have to go out there again later and give it a spread about.

::)

xx

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.