help sleeping in nest boxes

• 25 Replies

dan808

help sleeping in nest boxes
« on: March 19, 2013, 20:30 »
Hey guys when I have come to put the hens away there all huddled in and around there nest boxes, will they learn to use the roost in there own time its rounded off about the same height as the nests 3ft. The hens a Pol and I have had them about ten days. I rescued two ex batts yesterday as well and they are finding the smallest places to sleep is this to change when they become a little more lively, is it for lack of a better phrase a home comfort?
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

splash101

Re: help sleeping in nest boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 21:41 »
It will take them a few weeks to settle in, although it has been known for some hens to continue to sleep in the nest box.

Everynight when i go to lock mine up, they are all in the nest boxes. As soon as i shut the door they come out of the nest boxes onto the perch. I can hear them doing it because they make so much a noise. I think they  do this because the nest boxes are out of view from the door and they are hiding from predators, as soon as i shut the door they are ok.

The ones i have at the moment didnt leave the coop for 4 days when i first got them and they were scared of everything.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14 »
My 5 girls are almost 18 months old now, and still insist on sleeping in the nest boxes and on the coop floor....tried blocking the nest box off with a bit of old sacking, lifting them onto the perches after dark, and gave it up as a bad job, defeated.  I decided that as long as they were happy enough, I'd leave them to it, to cuddle up on the floor together - it just means that i have to poo pick the coop every morning, which is a 2 minute job, and i probably go through slightly more shavings/bedding than those that have birds that perch.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17 »
Ex batts have never had the option to perch. Some hens need to be trained to perch whilst others do it instinctively. It can help if you remove them fron the nest box and place them on the perch every evening. Some get the hang of this quite quickly some take a couple+ weeks. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:27 »
Mine perched happily until we got an eglu cube and now they all try to squash in the nest area!  I sometimes take the door off the nest area and lean it across the entrance hole.  This stops them sleeping in the nest but they do manage to squeeze past to lay their eggs on a morning.   ::) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:28 »

my girls are the same, they love to huddle together in the nesting box  ::)

dan808

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 19:17 »
So Im starting to put the girls on there perch tonight they stayed for a while lets see in a week or to if they learn to go up on there own  :happy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 19:30 »
If you put them on the perch when it is dark rather than dusk they are less likely to hop back down.  They can't see what is below them so tend to stay put.   ;)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 19:56 »
I'm afraid I'm a sucker for letting them huddle together in the nest boxes, but it does mean more frequent poop picking. 

I have four nest boxes, so 2 for sleeping at night, 2 are open in the day for laying, so at least I don't get poopy eggs!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 22:53 »
I have 7 bantams in a wooden house with 2 nest boxes. I often find all 7 (including the 2 cockerals) squashed in one nest box for the night. Not too much trouble to poop scoop in morning ready for eggs later.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 22:13 »
I have four chooks and since i have had them three perch and thelma has always slept in the nest box,no matter how many times i have put her on the perch.I did try to block her favourite box off once but she slept on the floor so i have given up now :)
Pull up a perch!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 22:43 »
Mine also prefer to huddle up in the nesting box at night.  I have long given up trying to move them - they won't budge!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 18:40 »
My 3 Banties like to be in the nest box as well, so I leave them too it. i don't think they know how to perch very well anyway. when the jump up onto a branch they struggle to balance properly  :blush:

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 21:24 »
Three of my banties roost in the eaves of their run which is around 6 ft in the air.  They leave the coop for the softie large fowl.   ::)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 14:27 »
We took on a flock for someone who could no longer look after them - three ex-batts and seven Pekin bantams. The bantams all sleep together in the nest box of our Cube, with an ex-batt roosting on the ledge above them!

Not sure what we can do about it ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

xx
Limping hen and sleeping in nest boxes.

Started by snowie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 15:40
by ehs284
xx
How do i stop my new chickens sleeping in the nest boxes?

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 08:27
by Sassy
question
chooks sleeping in nesting boxes

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:53
by slop jockey
xx
chickens sleeping in nesting boxes - advice needed

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:45
by Henlady

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.