Wilko Garden Sale

• 23 Replies

Willow_Warren

Wilko Garden Sale
« on: July 07, 2014, 15:14 »
Just popped into Wilkos in my lunchbreak and noticed they had a gardenign sale on.

I hadn't got time to look that closely but it seems like a lot of their seasonal gardening stuff in half price (e.g. plain pots 4" to 10" pots all half price - 6" pot was 30p and 10" (I think) was £1.  Seed trays, propagators, string, plant labels, oblisques etc were also half price I'm sure other things as well.

Although I was in there and one person was piling 3 terracotta pots into their basket/trolley thing, I think the young boy they had with them was bored so he decided to push the basket over (it wasn't an accident) and broke one of the pots.  This pot was returned to the shelf for a non-broken one.  Ok I'm not the most child friendly of people, but honestly if you break something in a shop and it's clearly your fault (i.e. not the shop stacking stupidly or something), should you not at least offer to pay, or at least explain to an assistant what happened?

Anyhow I was very restrained and only purchases 1, 6" for a house plant on my windowsill at work that needs repotting, 2 x puff things for the shower (10p each) and a naughty packet of malteasers (although they are now in my tummy!)

Hannah :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Wilko Garden Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 16:14 »
Were  the maltesers reduced as well??   :lol: :lol:  I'm going in there Thursday!   ;) ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 16:18 »
Will you still reduce? - if you buy any Malteasers that have been  ::)  :wacko:

:lol:

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:39 »

Although I was in there and one person was piling 3 terracotta pots into their basket/trolley thing, I think the young boy they had with them was bored so he decided to push the basket over (it wasn't an accident) and broke one of the pots.  This pot was returned to the shelf for a non-broken one.  Ok I'm not the most child friendly of people, but honestly if you break something in a shop and it's clearly your fault (i.e. not the shop stacking stupidly or something), should you not at least offer to pay, or at least explain to an assistant what happened?

That's interesting.  Wasn't someone on here saying the other day that they had dropped a bottle of sherry or something in a supermarket after the checkout and the supermarket had replaced it as that is their policy?  Can you imagine dropping a pack of pasta in the aisle and insisting to the "instore housekeeper" that you'll take the empty packet to the till thanks 'cos you really should pay for it?  Maybe it depends how large the shop is what our perception of "fair" is.  In a little gift shop, you'd apologise and pay. But then, how much of a jump is it to stealing from larger shops because "they can afford it"??

Provoked thought of the morning!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:29 »
The shop can get a rebate from their supplier for bottles of alcohol that are broken while the neck seal it still intact, so they pass this on to their customers (usually) as a gesture of goodwill.

Re the pot being broken though, Willow Warren: What on earth does that teach the child about responsible behaviour? That you can trash things and as long as it is covered up, that is OK????>:( >:(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11 »
WW thanks for the heads up I went up to the local branch yesterday after reading your post and picked up more gravel trays (ummm plus lots of other stuff including more seed) all at half price.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26 »
Re the pot being broken though, Willow Warren: What on earth does that teach the child about responsible behaviour? That you can trash things and as long as it is covered up, that is OK????>:( >:(

Don't get me started on that one  :lol:  We've kicked people out before for letting their children run riot and break things on purpose.  We have a policy not to charge for breakages, which is annoying at times, but the shame of being asked to leave usually sends a clear enough message  ;)

Our best ones recently - a pot of jam dropped and the customer walked off leaving broken glass and jam all over the floor.  Luckily other customers spotted it and let us know.  We also let dogs in and someone let their dog poo on the floor inside the shop.  Unfortunately, the customer that found this also stepped in it.  We cleaned them up, but how inconsiderate of the dog owner >:(

superpete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:03 »
when Felco 2s were about £40 - 5 or 6 years ago our local wilko had them in at £20 (till they were gone) - wish they'd do that again

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18 »
Will you still reduce? - if you buy any Malteasers that have been  ::)  :wacko:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:  Don't worry, I wont buy them, but if they are reduced, we are seeing Brian's 2 grandchildren soon and they love them!   :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32 »
That's ok then  :D

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 13:54 »
For the record I think the malteaser's were also on offer!

Naturally as they are "lighter than ordinatory chocolate" all is good :)

Hannah

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 13:58 »
For the record I think the malteaser's were also on offer!

Naturally as they are "lighter than ordinatory chocolate" all is good :)

Hannah

LOL Hannah, but MoS knows that I am trying not to eat chocs at the moment!  :lol: ;)

grinling

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 22:28 »
A shop can only charge the customer what they paid for the goods and not shelf price.

Maltesers in £land

Asherweef

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45 »
Are the sales in store only - I can't see anything on the website?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27 »
Yes, it seems that each store just sells what it has left on the shelves, so you don't get the same offers everywhere  :(

xx
Wilko's half price garden sale !!!!

Started by Dave Mack on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 19:30
by Nige2Plots
xx
Wilko Gardening sale on

Started by rosiecider on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 12:06
by shazlette
smiley
Annual 50p-a-Packet seed sale at Garden Centre Group / Wyevale

Started by Kristen on Frugal Living

76 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 10:04
by joyfull
xx
Wilko's

Started by mackem on Frugal Living

22 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 12:47
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.