Layers Pellets or Mash?

• 9 Replies

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Layers Pellets or Mash?
« on: October 05, 2013, 18:41 »
Hi all I use layers pellets because in my eyes its easier, what do you use and why, thanks Mike
Mike Rixon

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Layers Pellets or Mash?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 19:06 »
I think most people use layers pellets as it is less messy than the mash.  Having said that people with ex batts sometimes use mash as that is what they are used to.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 19:21 »
pellets.

Used mash once and it blew away  ??? Its good in the winter though for making them a warm porridge. You can still make it with pellets but they take a while to mash down.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 19:27 »
I use pellets as well and I make porridge with it for very cold days and for off-colour chucks. 

Mine don't go through enough to make it worth keeping both, so I pour boiling water on pellets and by the time its cool enough for them to eat, the pellets have soaked down.  Then is usually gets some Poultry Spice and a few garlic granules added.  They love it  :)

barley

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 19:50 »
I use growers pellets - why I hear you ask ?

because my flock are all bantams including tiny Dutch and sea bright breeds - growers pellets are same ingredients as layers pellets but a smaller pellet

I had terrible trouble getting them to eat layers pellets - you wouldn't believe the size mattered but it clearly did  :blink:

as above pellets can be mixed to a mash in cold weather with a little warm water cider vinegar or a little fat which helps keep the birds in tip top condition through the winter

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 22:33 »
I use growers pellets - why I hear you ask ?

because my flock are all bantams including tiny Dutch and sea bright breeds - growers pellets are same ingredients as layers pellets but a smaller pellet

I had terrible trouble getting them to eat layers pellets - you wouldn't believe the size mattered but it clearly did  :blink:

as above pellets can be mixed to a mash in cold weather with a little warm water cider vinegar or a little fat which helps keep the birds in tip top condition through the winter

Growers pellets may have the same ingredients but they will be in different percentages for the growing stage.  As for them being smaller, I think that depends on the manufacturer.  The ones I get from Farmway the layers pellets are smaller than the growers, so much so that I had to take the last lot of growers back as my bantam pullets could not eat them.   ::)

splash101

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:55 »
I also add some fruit to the porridge, a banana or some plums etc that are going soft (ones that have been nowhere near my kitchen I hasten to add).

If i know its going to be a particularly cold night, i give it to them about 3.30-4pm otherwise they have it for breakfast.

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 18:09 »
Thanks for all your replies, I will try the porridge this year I will mix the pellets with hot water and rolled barley and see how they get on, once again thanks Mike

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:22 »
Thanks for all your replies, I will try the porridge this year I will mix the pellets with hot water and rolled barley and see how they get on, once again thanks Mike

It should not be necessary to do this with healthy hens. It is best to give them a little mixed corn in the evening as this will keep them warm, it is also easier and they are guaranteed to eat the corn. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13 »

It should not be necessary to do this with healthy hens. It is best to give them a little mixed corn in the evening as this will keep them warm, it is also easier and they are guaranteed to eat the corn. :)
Thanks Sassy I give some mixed poultry most nights before dark but I did not know it helped to keep them warm, you learn something new every day, thanks Mike

xx
layers pellets or mash

Started by legend jeff on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 20:23
by Old Whiskers
xx
layers-mash - pellets??

Started by BIG ZOOK on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 23:33
by little miss muffat
xx
Layers Mash or pellets?

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 08:55
by Sadgit
xx
Layers Mash or Pellets?

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 09:50
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 40 queries.