First Use of New Greenhouse for Veg Seedlings

• 4 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
First Use of New Greenhouse for Veg Seedlings
« on: January 17, 2021, 15:29 »
I put up my new first time 6x4 greenhouse last June, so haven't really tried starting off my veg seeds in there yet. So I am looking for advice or suggestions for successful germination of my veg seeds, main advice required is stuff that can be started earlier in there, that I normally did before in a plastic mini tent like thing when the weather got warmer.

I grow Brassicas - not Cauli - they never work ! Cucumber (outdoor), Leek - not much success so far with those either, Sweetcorn, Tomato (outdoor), Beans, and Squash. Plus the normal root veg, lettuce, onion sets, potatoes etc which I normally plant direct on the allotment. I was thinking of buying a small electric propagator, maybe two, to use in there, as I can get electric in there easily as well. So any suggestions for that?

Forgot to say, the greenhouse is polycarbonate, would I need grow lights at all ? I can't do anything 'indoors' in the house, as there is no available space, window sills are really narrow too, which is why I was thinking of the propagator. I don't grow in big quantities,my brassicas are usually six or seven of each in one row, which is enough for us. Any helpful advice appreciated. Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: First Use of New Greenhouse for Veg Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 10:36 »
We had a recent thread on that very subject, so you might find that of interest  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=134020.0

My unheated glass greenhouse has just had a few pots of broad beans sown in it so far.  You can do without grow lights outside, but some like to have a set-up like that, then envelop that in a 'tent' or other structure to keep it a bit warmer.

Another thread here which touches on that idea  :)

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=134075.0

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59 »
Thanks for that newshoot, I'll take a look at that.

Ema

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 18:37 »
Personally I wouldn’t start sowing until March in a cold greenhouse.

The amount of times I’ve had plants suffering in pots because it’s too cold to put outside.

If you can find a tiny bit of south facing windowsill space try growing a couple of pepper or chilli plants now and then move them into the greenhouse when it’s warm enough

jezza

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 15:46 »
Hello try pelleted seed for cauliflowers and cabbage ,lettuce put seed in fridge night before sowing ,a Stewart automatic thermostatic propagate would be sufficient, sow as many seed as you want in quarter seed trays caulis cabbage and sprouts in one tray in 3 rows if you only want 6 plants,put the seed compost in the tray filling to the top then use another seed tray to press the compost down quarter inch that will be sufficient compaction for seed, leeks need it a bit looser but not much depending on compost  try pelleted leek seed, dont over water any pelleted seed wet the compost and leave as the outer coating will go mushy before the seed germinates    jezza

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.