Where do you get your plug plants from?

• 8 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« on: January 25, 2008, 21:55 »
Or 'ready made plants' as my daughter calls them!!

By the time I get my lottie cleared I won't have had a chance to have bought a greenhouse to start any seeds off in so I am going to have to sow straight into the ground and buy plug plants where necessary.

Do you buy your plug plants from the local garden centre and go with whatever varieties they have or do you have them delivered by post to get the varieties you want? (If you don't have a supplier nearby)

As this is my first year on the plot I will probably experiment with whatever is available and play it by ear!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Sally A

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 22:03 »
Chances are some of the guys on your site will sow too many, especially things like toms and courgettes, so barter with them.  they'll be growing varieties they know will do well in your area - so less chance of failure than buying by mail or garden centre.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 22:53 »
I agree with Sally - the old guys know to sow more than they will need so may have some to pass onto you.

failing that, the seed companies often also sell plug plants (at a premium!) try www.suttons.co.uk - I have bought plants from there before

HTH,  su

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 00:00 »
As I was late getting my lottie last June, weeding it ect ect ect.
I found most of the guys and gals on site, to be more than helpful- generous in fact..many helpful tips, ref; soil type, best plants to grow and so on. Well we're still eating the gifted varieties of leeks, somehow they taste even better. As some of the others dug up various other vedge, off home I trotted with bag loadsa stuff. I can honestly say I've been genuinely impressed by all of their generosity. " Long may the  Lotterteers rein",
 cheers to one and all,,Bye  PAH

Rob the rake

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 00:08 »
Ask around SD. There are lots of folks in the same boat who are unable to raise their own plants. Chances are that someone on your site will know of a good local plant nursery which will sell you plug plants at a fraction of the catalogue prices. Quite often they have a good selection, with more than one variety of each veg type, all hardened-off and ready to go.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:23 »
Try feecycle as well  I know I got rid of (sory shared) lots of excess small plants this way last year.  I also bought in a couple of varieties too of different things but they are expensive that way
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gobs

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:38 »
Bying this way will be cheaper, but not much cheaper than buying in bulk from some big company(T&M, etc), as on the market here I saw last year 70p a plant, that's not a price worth buying some disease.

Especially with Brassica plants you should be careful where you getting them from. If you buy a collection of 60 they come under 30p each and you can order through this site from them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:55 »
try car boot sales - you'll normally find a good range of plants - grown by proper gardeners  :wink:

Re: Where do you get your plug plants from?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 15:18 »
I got some plugs this year, bought some heirloom tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers and an aubergine called little fingers. I was really impressed with the quality and the people at the company. The yields were really good, i think because the plugs were so strong when they arrived in the post. Id definately reccomend them, the packagin was excellent too, and Victoria who runs the company is so knowlegable and was happy to advise me for ages on planting conditions and which varieties were best for me. The best plugs i've ever seen actually, worth a try!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 19:04 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Plug Plants

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 12:25
by Dirt Diver
xx
Plug plants

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 16:57
by angelavdavis
xx
Plug plants

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 23:33
by pol and mick
xx
veg plug plants

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:53
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 38 queries.