Tomatoes - grow bags v greenhouse bed.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

Tomatoes - grow bags v greenhouse bed.
« on: July 10, 2023, 08:46 »
For the first time I planted my toms directly into the greenhouse bed instead of a grow bag and I'm really pleased that not once have they wilted or (so far) got blossom end rot like before. Anyone else found this?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: Tomatoes - grow bags v greenhouse bed.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 12:32 »
For the first time I planted my toms directly into the greenhouse bed instead of a grow bag and I'm really pleased that not once have they wilted or (so far) got blossom end rot like before. Anyone else found this?

It's a great way to grow toms - we used to, but I got fed up with changing the soil every few years, so resorted to Growbags and then turned to pots in trays!

Watering pots can be tricky, and I need to check out the GH twice or three times a day, but there again, I've got the time to do this where others might not, so a soil planting would easily be the answer to save the constant visits!

You're right, too, about BER, as this is something I really do have to watch out for...

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 17:24 »
Yeah I grow in the beds. I have another homemade greenhouse that I grow in large pots, 33litre ones. They need watered every day if it's hot!

I've never changed the soil, I do add a couple of inches of compost a year to keep it in good health, which is more than I add on outside beds. I also grow salads in there once the toms come out. Sow them in small pots or modules at the start of September to plant out whenever the toms come out, usually end of september or start of October for me. Then you can enjoy winter salads and herbs like coriander and chervil and it can be really productive in march and April, before you can pick outside salads. Oh also i grow garlic in them, pick an early variety and they can be pulled out start of June before the toms have really taken off.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 21:09 »
I've never changed the soil, I do add a couple of inches of compost a year to keep it in good health, which is more than I add on outside beds.

I was watching something by Charles Dowding who does no dig and he's grown his tomatoes in the same greenhouse 11 years so far! Like Snow he adds a couple of inches of compost each year. I feel more reassured about the 3 years I've had mine in the PT and future years provided I keep the soil topped up.

xx
Greenhouse grow bags

Started by alanb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

15 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 11:30
by Amilo
xx
Carrots in grow bags in Greenhouse

Started by Twood on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2019, 20:32
by Twood
xx
Pots in grow bags.

Started by andyw on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 08:01
by Totty
xx
Recommendations for hanging strawberry grow bags in polytunnels

Started by Swing Swang on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2020, 19:39
by jezza

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 43 queries.