They really don't know they're lucky

• 11 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
They really don't know they're lucky
« on: August 24, 2013, 18:24 »
So, I have four hens... they have a woodchip lined pen of about 40 square metres. In their pen they have an activity centre which consists of ladders, platforms, mirrors and places to hang treats. They also have a shelter - their food and water is under there too - the compost bin is in there, which is a constant source of entertainment for them. Oh, and their hut is in there too... and they have the roots of a large oak tree to scratch around in.

Is that enough for them? Oh no... they complain of being no more than caged hens.

So. Thankfully we have a large garden. When we're at home, in addition to their cage like pen (very small according to them), we've now fenced off another 50 square metres of lawn, a 2 metre by 10 metre shrub border and a large patio, complete with bench.

Are they now happy? No. they pace the fence like caged tigers, screaming "you can take away our eggs but you'll never take away our freedom!!!" Bally hens...
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: They really don't know they're lucky
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 18:48 »
I so know what you mean! :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 20:45 »
I think you have made a rod for your own back there!!   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 21:26 »
Fenced off patio area as fed up of poo.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 13:19 »
Spoiled little madams, but good on you for giving them such a wonderful life!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 16:06 »

I know... why do they have to pooh on the door step when they have the whole garden to use???

::)

SL

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 15:14 »
and I thought it was just my hens that did that! ha ha.   :D

When I first got my two, I bought an Eglu with run for them (at great expense!). It became apparent very quickly that this amount of space was outrageous - (having been bought from a free range farm). So I then invested another £100 on netting for them to fence off a large area of garden which included trees, shrubs, grass, earth etc - chicken paradise you may think, but no they were most perturbed at not being allowed the whole garden and would spend hours marching up and down the fence making a fuss.
So now I have given up with the eglu run, and the fencing, and they have the whole garden to free range! And they are happy chickens  :)
.....however, they now keep pecking at the back door to be let in the house!!!  ???

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 15:44 »
Hahahaha!
I haven't given into them yet, they're still behind their fence and still eyeing the rest of the garden hungrily. If I did, like yours, they would be tapping at the back door.  ::)

tosca100

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 17:10 »
We have extended the space our's have as they have stripped the original pen. Are they happy? No! They are desperately trying to get to my cabbages! Give them a cabbage and they are convinced you are trying to poison them. :lol:

barley

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 19:33 »
we free range our hens 95% of the time but if we go out they go into the fox/ buzzard proof run
40ft full of all mod cons like yours

are they grateful we love them so much its to keep them safe ????? HELL NO  :wacko:

you would think they were being murdered  :ohmy: they shout so loud you can hear them half way down the lane as you drive off  :nowink:

and upon return its like the January sales to see who can exit the door first upon their release  :lol:

Goldfinger

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 20:41 »

I know... why do they have to pooh on the door step when they have the whole garden to use???

Guess we're not the only ones that suffer this fate too when stepping out the door...?

tosca100

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 04:33 »

Guess we're not the only ones that suffer this fate too when stepping out the door...?

Had to remind OH of this when he mentioned removing the fence for the winter. In the UK our three spent half their lives on the door step, a quarter trying to get past you into the kitchen when you opened the door, the rest of the time digging up whatever they could! This lot huddle in the corner closest to the back door in the afternoons as the sun comes round and a tiny patch of shade appears and all jump up declaring they're starving if they see anyone at the door! Spoilt brats. :lol:

edited to take post out of quotes
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 13:21 by ANHBUC »

xx
Hen had a lucky escape

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:19
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.