Cauliflower pickle

• 10 Replies

WG.

Cauliflower pickle
« on: April 12, 2007, 22:14 »
Is anyone willing to share their favourite recipes for pickled cauliflower please?  Not piccalilli since I've already got loads of that.

Wobblymoo

• http://www.wobblymoo.co.uk/blog
Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 21:40 »
I'm afraid I have probably created a monster and stuck cauliflower in sarsons, but wont know until we try it in a couple of weeks.  The sweet pickle recipe I have is brilliant, tastes just like branstons even with poetic licence and missing out the caramel colouring because I wouldn't have a clue where to get it, apples because I forgot, gherkins because I couldn't see the point in buying pickles to put in pickle, I just made up the weights with extra other veg and added some rice flour to thicken a little.

250g Carrots, cut into 3 mm (1/8 inch) cubes (9 oz)
1 Medium Swede, cut into 3 mm (1/8 inch) cubes
4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
125 Gram Dates, finely chopped (4 1/2 oz)
1 Cauliflower, finely chopped
2 Onions, finely chopped
2 Medium Apples, finely chopped
2 Medium Courgettes, finely chopped (unpeeled)
15 Sweet gherkins, finely chopped
225 Gram Dark brown sugar (8 oz)
1 Teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoon Lemon juice
350 ml Cider vinegar, or malt vinegar (12 fl oz)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Teaspoon Mustard seeds
2 Teaspoon Ground allspice
few dashes Cayenne pepper (optional)
Caramel colouring (e.g. liquid browning) as required

Makes 4 x 500 ml (16 fl oz) jars

Combine all the ingredients except the caramel colouring in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.

Cook until the swede is cooked through but still firm, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Add the caramel colouring until the colour is dark brown. Bottle and seal.

The flavour will improve if the pickle is allowed to age for a few weeks before using.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 22:27 »
Mmmm, that sounds nice!!!!

WG.

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 07:26 »
Sounds good, Wobblymoo.  I love Branston pickle but Mrs Golf won't have it in the house because it is now Nestle's.

Trillium

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 18:05 »
Obviously I'm on the outskirts of in-information. What's the problem with Nestles?  :?

WG.

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 18:15 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Obviously I'm on the outskirts of in-information. What's the problem with Nestles?  :?

Mrs Golf (a midwive) says Nestle encourage mothers in Third World countries to bottle feed rather than to breast feed; thereby using unclean water to mix with the dried milk (sold by Nestles of course).  
Quote from: "http://www.babymilkaction.org"
The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that 1.5 million infants die around the world every year because they are not breastfed. Where water is unsafe a bottle-fed child is up to 25 times more likely to die as a result of diarrhoea than a breastfed child.

That is over 4000 babies per day!  :cry:  :cry:

Wobblymoo

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:25 »
I didn't know Branston was now Nestle, you'll have to make my pickle now :) Honestly, I did a blindfolded taste test with hubby and he said he couldn't taste the difference. I got about 7 jars from the recipe above which should see us through until I have my own veg to make it with.
Denise

WG.

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 10:32 »
Thank you, I'll certainly try your recipe later in season.

I can only imagine your hubby's disappointment at putting on the blindfold and then only getting a spoon of pickle ...  :wink:  :oops:  :wink:  :oops:  :lol:

Wobblymoo

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:33 »
Lol WG, you have met him by the sounds of it  :lol:
Denise

Mr Pickles

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:11 »
looks mighty fine, a few questions, do you really need to put 225 Gram Dark brown sugar (8 oz) into it?

do you lose alot of the quality nutrients of the ingredients through the cooking process? if that's the case, in order to maintain the nutrients can you leave out the cooking?

well the nicest pickles in the store i've found is called Torchi Alnajaf pickles, it ia product of syria, the ingredients are natural date vinegar, mixed vegetables and fruits only, now i guess they would be lying if they used salt and sugar to make it wouldn't they, i guess they can get away with it as alot of labels get away with all sorts, but  i really like the idea that the product has no sugar or salt in it to satisfy my healthy diet or are they tricking me and you need salt and sugar to make pickles?

cheers!

WG.

Cauliflower pickle
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:53 »
Quote from: "Mr Pickles"
looks mighty fine, a few questions, do you really need to put 225 Gram Dark brown sugar (8 oz) into it?

do you lose alot of the quality nutrients of the ingredients through the cooking process? if that's the case, in order to maintain the nutrients can you leave out the cooking?

well the nicest pickles in the store i've found is called Torchi Alnajaf pickles, it ia product of syria, the ingredients are natural date vinegar, mixed vegetables and fruits only, now i guess they would be lying if they used salt and sugar to make it wouldn't they, i guess they can get away with it as alot of labels get away with all sorts, but  i really like the idea that the product has no sugar or salt in it to satisfy my healthy diet or are they tricking me and you need salt and sugar to make pickles?

cheers!

Pickles and chutneys virtually always include or involve salt (brining is used to decrease the water content of the vegetables).

Chutneys virtually always include sugar.  Some pickles do too.

xx
in a pickle..

Started by pottyaboutgrowing on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 17:21
by Livinhope
xx
Pan Yan Pickle, RIP...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 20:40
by Growster...
xx
In a pickle

Started by tenderness on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 00:12
by tenderness
xx
Jam / Pickle Kits

Started by The Golden Heap on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 07:40
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 39 queries.