compost to heat a greenhouse

• 4 Replies

jondav

compost to heat a greenhouse
« on: December 16, 2015, 20:26 »
Anybody heard of this one, I was looking on the internet recently, and came across a site that suggested using compost to raise the temperature slightly in a greenhouse,apparently you fill a binbag full of unrotted compost, anything rottable will do, though it,s suggested that grass cuttings are best, bit difficult to find this time of year, then place it in your greenhouse, the rotting process produces heat, we have all seen how in summer how grass cuttings can get so hot they start to smolder . anyway its worth a try, even if it lifts the temp by just a degree or two

Christine

Re: compost to heat a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15 »
I've seen manure used in polytunnels. You need very new manure to get it to work. Of course when the heat stops you have spent compost for beds.

I think it's an offshoot of the old Victorian glasshouse gardeners who used to use layers of hot manure from cattle and horses on the old estates in beds to grow exotic things like pineapples for the grand houses. If my memory serves me correctly.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:15 »
Harry Dodsons Victorian kitchen garden series showed how to make hot beds. You might find them on youtube.

I have also seen a video some where showing how to make a greenhouse heater using manure and a bucket of water. The idea being that the manure was packed round the bucket of water and kept the water warm so as to take the chill off the greenhouse in the spring months. There are lots of hot bed videos on youtube.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16 »
Don't know what the elf 'n safety would make of indoor compost heaps........ they fuel power stations with that sort of thing !

I suppose you could wear breathing apparatus ! :)

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 17:26 »
I have a hoop coop and use composting deep litter in it all year long, which keeps my coop 10 degrees warmer at the roost level than the outside temps and that's with large open areas at various points in the coop for ventilation, even open spaces at the ground level for cold air intake. 

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.