Flies on my chilli plant.

• 5 Replies

Benandbill

Flies on my chilli plant.
« on: July 26, 2015, 13:31 »
I had the same problem last year.  I thought it might just be a one off but this year I have a much bigger pot for the kitchen window sill, the chilli plant has grown to a great size, there are flowers on it but the compost it's in is crawling with flies.

Unfortunately, the better half will not tolerate this - and to be honest I can't say I blame her - in the kitchen and there's no room in our greenhouse for the plant so it's outside in the not too warm weather and rain at the moment.

Has anybody here encountered similar?  Any suggestions as to what might be the cause or solutions?

compostqueen

Re: Flies on my chilli plant.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 15:08 »
I think they're called Thunderflies. I think you get them when you have plants standing in water.  Chillies don't need a lot of water, I only water mine when they actually flag  :)  You can certainly stand them outside and the rain will be ok for them. Just watch they don't get blow about by winds as you don't want them damaged

A chilli is a fruit so they could be fruit flies I suppose.  My mate grows all his chillies in the garden, and on a good year, they will do just fine. 

oldgrunge

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 20:32 »
I believe they are sciatic flies, and tend to inhabit wet compost. Chilli compost should not be kept wet enough to attract these beasties, so try letting it dry out a bit.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11 »
I believe they are sciatic flies, and tend to inhabit wet compost. Chilli compost should not be kept wet enough to attract these beasties, so try letting it dry out a bit.

Seconded !

They are also known as fungus gnats .

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:57 »
Sciarid flies do sound the most likely culprit, and letting the compost dry a  bit will control them. If they are really annoying, or come back, a squirt with any greenfly killer will see them off. Bear in mind that more might hatch from pupae in the soil so a second treatment might be needed.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26 »
This year, so far, I've not got aphids on the greenhouse or window sill stuff.  Maybe it's the not spraying that is paying off or maybe they've just not arrived yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that they'll keep away  :)  I suppose drier conditions means less humidity, and that does seem to feature with the dratted things

If they do move in I ship the chillies outside and let the hoverflies, ladybirds and birds get at them, and colder weather. They don't seem to mind cooler conditions anyway. You have to protect them from bufetting winds though

xx
tiny hopping flies

Started by poohpouri on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 21:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Little black flies all over greenhouse

Started by maddave on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2021, 20:11
by Hortic
xx
Chilli plants

Started by mikegm on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 09:49
by sunshineband
xx
Are chilli's better in pots?

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 22:05
by J_B

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.