It's early to be stupid, but did I do the right thing?

• 19 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: It's early to be stupid, but did I do the right thing?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 09:34 »
Another thing is that a relative or someone else might think you are taking advantage. People are more wary these days, we have also suggested caution to another member on this site who was offered help.
you could put a card through their door apolgising for any offense but none was meant and if they do need help in the future please ask.

That's a thought, I told them if it was snowy/icy and they needed anything from the shop just give us a ring. I got the Eldest to put a note with our number and some info they wanted through the door so I could walk Youngest across the road or they'd pester Husband to be carried. So maybe they've taken that as me not wanting to talk to them, I did explain and apologise on the phone when they called to confirm they got the note later. but that was when I was told to not knock any more. They are very capable and it could have been just a New Year thing and they've decided their being daft.

I'm not from here and there are clashes of language sometimes. Something innocuous to them is offensive to me and vice versa. Us non Aberdonians do find it hard to talk to the locals. With the oil there was a big influx of people and the locals weren't impressed. they "wrecked the place and the older ones haven't really forgiven them". Their rather stand offish. One of my neighbours won't talk or even look at the next door neighbour or us because they aren't native to this bit of town. Despite them living there for 50 years. They won't talk to the Husband because while he is native, I'm not from Aberdeen.

grinling

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 19:29 »
That does happen all over. You have tried and they know that can ask if they need to. I now have a couple of couples in my street now say hello!!! lived he 9 years and the are are only 14 houses. 1 house I don't speak to as I am owed money by her and she refuses to pay, but everyone else is great.
Everyone  is from all over Britain and the World

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 08:57 »
In Laws are over later so food will abound. Does anyone think I should I bring a plate over?
I'm leaning towards yes.

Garlic and rosemary lamb, chicken, baked and boiled potatoes, carrots, parsnips with carrot cake and banana bread for afterwards. I'll save them the mini breasts since they look nicer than a slice.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 10:05 »
It sounds like a lovely meal, bit if I had been asked not to knock, I would say OK and just leave it.  They have your number if they need help. 

I don't know why they said that to you.  It could be pride or as some have said, just wariness, but either way they have made their wishes known.  You risk them getting a bit annoyed and upsetting you if you push it.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 17:50 »
They were on the 'phone so they couldn't argue. I just told them to let me spoil them and I got a hug!

So it went well and I'll bring them over something again. I'm glad they went well  :D

xx
stupid delivery driver

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2020, 05:26
by Growster...
xx
Have I done the right thing ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2019, 17:20
by Christine
xx
Hello - is this thing on?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post March 26, 2021, 08:31
by JayG
xx
Daftest thing you nearly did lately

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 17:05
by sospan

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 48 queries.