advice on 7 week old chicks please

• 1 Replies

seanandde

advice on 7 week old chicks please
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:44 »
After moaning like sin on another thread that I couldn't find any Orpingtons, we've found some :)  A nice guy who was recommended to me.  We could have waited until our three new arrivals to be were older, but have decided to take them at 6/7 weeks when they're off heat (if that's the right terminology).

I'm sure the breeder will give us some info when we collect the chicks in a few weeks but I'd like to make sure I have what I'll need to hand so a few questions... I plan on keeping them in my lean to (too shabby to call a conservatory) which is nice and warm, in a large cardboard box with suitable 'bedding', water and, I assume just chick crumb for feed?  Should or could we offer them any greenstuff at this age? 

I have an old rabbit run which I thought we'd put them outside in on warmer days, bringing them back in at night of course - would this be okay and and what sort of age would it be safe to put them outside permanently?  Once outside, they'll have a large'ish fenced off part of our garden and a coop obviously, which is all ready and waiting :)

Also should they come to us vaccinated?  I forgot to ask the breeder this.  If not, should we arrange to do this ourselves?

Thanks in advance and just like to say I'm so glad I found this lovely, friendly forum!

Casey76

Re: advice on 7 week old chicks please
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35 »
If they're off heat, they can go outside into a proper coop immediately.  If the breeder is still feeding chick crumb, ask if you could take some with you, and then you can buy growers and transition them slowly onto that.

Chickens are usually vaccinated starting at a day old, and by 6 weeks they are usually too old.  With good husbandry, and especially if you have no other birds, then vaccination is not usually necessary.

xx
our 2 week old chicks with photos

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 14:41
by Squiggly
xx
feeding two week old chicks

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 06:54
by animal mad
xx
need advice for my chicks

Started by hercule on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 18:36
by nerdle
xx
First time out for the "5 Week old" Chicks

Started by Dominic on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:24
by Squiggly

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.