Recipe : Refrigerator Pickled Eggs

• 3 Replies

DanielCoffey

Recipe : Refrigerator Pickled Eggs
« on: November 17, 2018, 15:49 »
I finally found a Pickled Eggs recipe that works for me. The vinegar is slightly diluted because the eggs are stored in the fridge immediately after bottling rather than being left in a store cupboard (which would require full strength vinegar).

Recipe : Refrigerator Pickled Eggs (based on a 1L Kilner jar which fitted 10 eggs)

Clean and dry a glass jar with a lid.

Hard boil as many eggs as you are using then place in cold water to prevent them going grey. I boiled them for 11 minutes to make sure they were properly done inside.

Once cold, shell and rinse them. If any are torn and rough from the peeling, set aside and use in something else.

In a small pan, warm 500ml Cider Vinegar, 125ml water and 1/4 cup sea salt until the salt is dissolved.

Place two peeled garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp ground turmeric and either 1 tsp black peppercorns or one dried chilli in the jar. Add a little of the warm vinegar to disperse the turmeric. Add the eggs until the jar is almost full then cover with the warm vinegar. Put the lid on and set aside to cool.

Once cold, put in the fridge and leave for two weeks. They are then ready to eat. Use them without mayonnaise on fresh bread with salad instead of cheese or meat.
PickledEggs.jpg

Kleftiwallah

Re: Recipe : Refrigerator Pickled Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 16:19 »

I use slightly diluted vinegar (as you have found, neat is a bit strong) and keep them in the cupboard.  I've found no problems...

Cheers,  Tony. ::)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 17:49 »
how much taste do you get of garlic and chilli etc. ? have never used them but I like the idea of extra taste

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 18:17 »
This lot aren't ready yet but from past experience with full-strength white vinegar, the vinegar was the main taste. This time I am trying the more dilute method with storing in the fridge since I have room.

Having looked at other recipes, "Traditional" pickled eggs seem to have some celery, a little sugar, salt and peppercorns. You can add beetroot or beetroot vinegar to colour them pink or you can pile on the chilli for a more powerful result. The common denominator is the vinegar (white or cider), the correct amount of salt and then whatever flavouring you want from sugar, pepper, herbs, garlic, spices and chilli.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 18:17 by DanielCoffey »

xx
PICKLED EGG RECIPE PLEASE

Started by Briony on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 23:34
by Val H
xx
pickled red cabbage recipe

Started by carlotta on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 13:45
by arugula
xx
pickled gherkins recipe please

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 08:14
by mumofstig
xx
hot pickled onion recipe needed

Started by philskin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 10:30
by philskin

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.