How big are your leeks?

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

How big are your leeks?
« on: October 10, 2015, 13:22 »
Not wishing to brag, but we've just harvested a leek (Tornado) that was a good 2 1/2 inches across. Some of the others look to be quite big too though there is some variation between them as regards size. I did the usual and sowed them in a 6" plant pot mid-April, potted them on into 6" pots with nine to a pot, then fed them with Miracle-Gro liquid feed about 2 weeks before planting out into trowel holes in early July. I trimmed their roots before planting so they would get their bases right down into the holes. They had a sprinkle of chicken manure pellets in late Aug/early Sept which I haven't done before and they all look really healthy so far. This variety seems to suit us and has cropped well before, but this time - yo! I hope yours are doing as well as mine.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How big are your leeks?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 13:29 »
Mine are not as big as some years, as they seemed to take ages to get big enough to plant out, but I do have several hundred of them, and the biggest are around 1inch across, so not bad.  Well done on your though!

I used to just grow musselburgh, which were the thickest ones, but they are short, so I prefer Bulgarian Giant, which aren't as thick but very tall!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 14:34 »
I've grown a rust resistant variety this year, Neptune.
It has indeed remained rust-free and not a bad size (though not as big as GG's) and there's been no sign of the dreaded leek miner or moth.

Result this year, then  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 17:24 »
We grow Bulgarian Giant for obvious reasons  :lol: and also another variety in case of failure. They have suffered in the drought but are now coming along. The BG are nice and tall now but the others are a bit fatter. It's a matter of pride in the markets to see who has the tallest, they are tied in bunches but only a small portion of green as they snap the green off as it bends over. They must be over four feet tall, taller than our's. They keep them tied like this in the cellars in a bucket of water as the ground is too hard to dig them up once winter arrives

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:51 »
You lucky girl. 80 leeks were looking good. We went away,the netting blew off and all invaded by the leek moth. 2 nd year on the run and everyone's leeks on the site have been infected. Doooooooh

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 06:18 »
So far, the 'Bandit' we usually grow are exceeding last year's size, so we're hoping for a long season, with several bigguns on the way...

In the past, I never really took much notice of 'earlies', 'middles' or 'lates', until one year they got about two ft high, and were eventually only an inch across, so that was a lesson learned!!

We've used 6, so 209 to go...

Robster

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:06 »
I grow musselburgh.  This year they are a bit thinner than normal.  May be because they were quite tangled when I dug them up to transplant.  Maybe because I've let the weeds compete too much.  Still t's be a good crop and we should have plenty until the end of March when the potatoes go in.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44 »
We chose Tornado (autumn/winter variety) because of the reported taste (yummy) and they looked to have a longer white shank which OH wanted for the kitchen, but then found that we don't need to faff about covering the shank to blanch it - it just does it on its own. Strangely enough, we've never had leek leaf miner or moth - maybe it's the salt air? Having just looked at Bandit, though I think I've tried them before, I might just have another go so as to extend the season, though Tornado lasts well into winter.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 17:26 »
Took me many years to twig that the only real way to grow leaks is feed and more feed. Mine got Growmore  followed by a very high nitrogen pasture fertiliser and the majority of them are in excess of two and a half inches across. A few are much bigger but the outer leaves have split, not that this affects anything other than their cosmetic appeal

xx
sad leeks

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 08:22
by Beetroot queen
xx
Leeks

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 07:18
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Leeks?

Started by johnthepost on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 18:29
by sunshineband
xx
leeks

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 21:15
by jambop

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.