Frontline?

• 11 Replies

featherhead

• I love her.
Frontline?
« on: September 14, 2011, 19:45 »
I popped into the vet today to ask for more info about frontline use on chickens.

She advised me to use the frontline spray and use it directly onto the skin, preferably under the wings where the skin shows most.

However I have only read on here about using drops applied to the back of the head/neck.

Does anyone have a 2nd opinion or more information for me? Should I use the spray? She wouldn't sell me the drops so I don't have the option of using those instead.

I have only seen a couple of lice on the back of one of my chicken's head, I could not see any around the vent or under the wings and was going to use frontine as a routine precaution.

Thankyou x
There's no place like home <3

bantam novice

Re: Frontline?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 20:01 »
I have read several people here saying that they use the frontline spray as a regular precaution and it seems to work for external little visitors.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 20:58 »
You can buy the frontline drops from either Pets at Home or Lloyds Pharmacy.  You can also order ito n line without a pescription.  If you do get s ome - use the kitten strength.  I use the drops but have just bought some spray as I found it difficult to administer drops to a wriggling hen!

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 21:05 »
I noticed just a couple of days ago that Costco sell FL drops.  I don't find the drops difficult to use applied to the skin at the back of the neck.

HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 22:22 »
As far as I know the spray and drops have the same ingredients.  Or am I missing something here?  Why would the vet sell spray but not drops?

You can certainly use the spray as directed - on the area where the skin is most exposed.  Best to get some help!  One holding, the other spraying.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 00:14 »
I buy Frontline cat spot-on on line at half the vet price and only use half a pipette for each bird on the back of the neck every 2/3 months or so.
Result......happy birds and happy me. :D
I didn't sell any eggs for 7 days but we ate them. I think it's Stronghold (which does worms as well) that taints the eggs because it is absorbed by the blood?

kegs

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 15:50 »
I use the drops but have just bought some spray as I found it difficult to administer drops to a wriggling hen!

I treated ours when they were tucked up in their coop at night.  A couple of drops to the back of the neck and not one of the four chickens moved a muscle!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 16:37 »
The vet prescribed the spray for our chickens. It was easier to use than the drops but it does cost a bit more. I guess it's just a matter of preference really.

featherhead

• I love her.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 19:04 »
Thanks for all the replies :)
I was just a bit concerned about spraying under the wings in case they tried to preen there and ate the spray.. but now I know a few of you have tried it and it works I'm going to try it in a minute.

I'm in the garden atm watching my chickens hunting a mouse  :lol:
I've only had chickens a few months and can't believe how much happier I am having them as pets :)

littlem1nx

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 15:18 »
Hello,

I have taken on 6 beautiful chickens,On closer inspection i can see they haven't been taken care of at all.One is covered in lice.I started using lice powder( on all of the chickens) but it didn't seem to touch them,so decided to give frontline a try and i must say after looking today they are all totally lice free but they still have lice eggs around the base of the feathers.

When the lice hatch will they instantly die?is their anything else i should be doing?
 I have cleaned the coop,put lice powder in the coop and in their dust bath.

I have noticed some of the chickens have lost a lot of feathers,could this be caused by the lice? I am currently giving lots of protein to try and help the feathers grow faster.I'm alittle worried the weather is starting to get colder and i'd hate for the girls to be cold.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 16:57 »
Not a great contribution to this thread but....
Featherhead - I'm having this same experience!  SOOO happy since this hen arrived! Sipping tea and watching her is total heaven - anything elso just seems so boring.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

kegs

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 19:34 »
Hello,

I have taken on 6 beautiful chickens,On closer inspection i can see they haven't been taken care of at all.One is covered in lice.I started using lice powder( on all of the chickens) but it didn't seem to touch them,so decided to give frontline a try and i must say after looking today they are all totally lice free but they still have lice eggs around the base of the feathers.

When the lice hatch will they instantly die?is their anything else i should be doing?
 I have cleaned the coop,put lice powder in the coop and in their dust bath.

I have noticed some of the chickens have lost a lot of feathers,could this be caused by the lice? I am currently giving lots of protein to try and help the feathers grow faster.I'm alittle worried the weather is starting to get colder and i'd hate for the girls to be cold.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

A lot of chickens moult at this time of year so that could explain the loss of feathers.  If they were heavily infested with lice you can repeat the drops after a few days and this thread gives you lots more information on it.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

xx
frontline use

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 21:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
frontline

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 15:04
by hillfooter
xx
frontline

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 09:39
by Roughlee Handled
xx
frontline

Started by retribution on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 22:03
by joyfull

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 37 queries.