Sugar

• 3 Replies

bearhugger1972

• my blog
Sugar
« on: October 25, 2011, 22:22 »
I have my first beerkit fermenting (Geordie Winter Warmer) and I used granulated suger in the wort. Is this ok, or would it be better to use demerrara or other type of sugar.
Also, I will be bottling the beer, so is it better to use 1/2 or level teaspoon of sugar to prime?
Thanks for advice as this is my first time brewing.
Work is for those who don't know how to garden

Kleftiwallah

Re: Sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:58 »

Just straight sugar is O.K. 

The amount of sugar to prime is, of course, dependant on the size of the bottle.  I've scrounged a few Coka whatsit fizzy stuff bottles from an addict !  I cannot stand the stuff myself and I put in a slightly heaped teaspoonfull ('cos the bottle were big).   Very much 'suck it and see'.   Even if you vary the amount, and keep an accurate record, you are sure to lose the record ! ! !   when it comes time to consume your hard work.     Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

the4diggers

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 15:48 »
Generally speaking for that style of beer I would aim for about half a teaspoon per pint.

It depends on if you like it fizzy or flat.  Most bottled shop bought beers are over carbonated in my opion and I much prefer 'cask style' for ale type beers.

Having said that, too much is better than too little because you can always knock the gas out when you decant into the bottle...  But never go over the 1tsp per pint just to be sure of not getting bottle bombs...

bearhugger1972

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 21:54 »
I prefer my beers 'cask' like and I have lots of bottles that I have bought (mainly Wychwood)  so I'll try half a teaspoon I think. I bet it's not an exact science though especially priming 40 bottles! Mind you I bet there's somewhere that sell a half size teaspoon. Thanks for the replies.  :)

xx
Brewing sugar or Ordinary sugar

Started by n.b83 on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 00:36
by ohbeary
xx
Palm Sugar

Started by Markw on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 16:15
by Markw
xx
How Much Sugar In Sloe Gin

Started by Uffda on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 19:44
by 8doubles
xx
Sugar! ...or are you sweet enough?

Started by clairebeau on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2012, 10:51
by clairebeau

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.