Westlands Growbags

• 4 Replies

Headgardener22

Westlands Growbags
« on: June 22, 2012, 16:50 »
Has anybody else had problems with Westlands Growbags? I usually use Levingtons growbags but this year my local garden centre had put the price up and introduced Westlands growbags at what I thought was a reasonable price.

I planted my tomatoes as normal and, whilst some have done fine about a third have rotted off just above the rootball. Never had it happen before and I wondered if Westlands growbags are a different mix and hold the water differently.

I don't use their compost any more as I've found that seeds and plants seem to grow better in Levingtons.

Any comments?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Westlands Growbags
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 17:09 »
Have a look at this year's experiences of compost in this thread.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 18:54 »
Have a look at this year's experiences of compost in this thread.

I did, I couldn't see any specific comments about bought-in growbags.

My concern is that the ones I'm growing in the ground are fine but the ones in growbags are very variable, some are growing strongly, others (as I said) seem to have rotted off, and others look like they've got blight or sunburned. There's no consistency between the bags. That said, the plants are all different sorts, most of which I have grown before without difficulty and I'm trying to make up my mind as to whether to give up with the growbag tomatoes this year and use that greenhouse for cucumbers and peppers, chucking the growbags onto the compost heap and vowing "never again".

On the other hand, if its my fault, I need to understand what I've done differently.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 21:17 »
Ah, right.

Is there any consistency between the ones which have died off?  Same respective positions in the bags, nearest the windy corner, more shade, fewer drainage holes in one bag etc?

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30 »
Unfortunately not. There are 6 growbags with 2 in each. 2 growbags have lost one in each rotted off and 2 growbags each have a sickly plant. When I pulled up the rotted off plants, one had no roots at all and the other had a good rootball, then rotted off, then above the rotted off bit it was growing new roots but hadn't grown enough to support the plant (it might have developed them but I wasn't going to wait).

It feels like I've overwatered them but I haven't done anything different to normal, that's why I wondered if it was the growbags.

xx
Richmoor or Westlands M/P compost?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 09:58
by Goldfinger
xx
improving soil with Westlands farmyard manure?

Started by mike86 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 23:05
by compostqueen
xx
Growbags

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 20:28
by Ice
xx
Growbags

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 10:39
by upert

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 38 queries.