Sweetcorn - spacing 2 varieties

• 15 Replies

gillian62

Sweetcorn - spacing 2 varieties
« on: June 06, 2011, 13:50 »
I already have one lot of sweetcorn in the plot, but have another lot ready to put in.  I have read somewhere that as they are different varieties they need to be put in a different place to avoid cross pollination.  How far away from each other should they be please?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn - spacing 2 varieties
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 14:04 »
Oh dear, this problem again!  :nowink:

Since the separation distance to avoid cross-pollination is usually given as at least 250 yards it's almost never a practical proposition.

There is conflicting advice about which of the many types of sweetcorn show adverse effects if cross-pollinated; the only sure way is to grow only one variety (and preferably there only be the same variety being grown by others in the area as well.)

(Trouble is, the results of crosses seem to be unpredictable. varying from inedible to just some tough and/or not very sweet kernels on each cob.)

An article HERE (there are others.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 14:37 »
Good find Jay, cos that article explains it in an easily understood way, for once :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 14:43 »
Good find Jay, cos that article explains it in an easily understood way, for once :D

Could you possibly mean this one Mum?!  :ohmy:  ::)  :lol:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-98.pdf

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 14:48 »
that's just one of many  :lol:  :lol: :tongue2:

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 15:19 »
Terrible error - first year of growing and I have about 4 different varieties of sweetcorn growing right next to each other!!! Is this a complete disaster? Is there any way to rescue the situation?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 16:06 »
Bite the bullet!

Sweetcorn will not thank you for being moved. You won't necessarily get poor quality cobs, but there's a chance. Keep fingers crossed you may be OK.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 16:09 »
Terrible error - first year of growing and I have about 4 different varieties of sweetcorn growing right next to each other!!! Is this a complete disaster? Is there any way to rescue the situation?

I think any attempt to try to keep the pollen clouds separate would be very expensive and probably wouldn't work very well either.

With 4 different varieties your results will at least be interesting, and may not be as bad as you fear.  :)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 16:14 »

Hi Kajazy
Were they all planted at the same time?
If not, they may not cross pollinate because they may should be ready at different times.  If the do, you may not notice any difference.
Just keep your figures crossed and next year plant different types as far apart as possible and at least 4 weeks between them.

gillian62

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 16:30 »
Mine are about 3 1/2 weeks between sowings, so I may get away with it then, I hope!!  I put the 1st lot in the plot a week ago but the others are still in their modules awaiting a space.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 17:27 »
Uh-oh....doomed! Ho hum - all part of the First Year learning curve...  ::)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48 »
Mine are about 3 1/2 weeks between sowings, so I may get away with it then, I hope!!  I put the 1st lot in the plot a week ago but the others are still in their modules awaiting a space.

If the earlier-sown plants are clearly "done pollinating" by the time the second batch silks start to appear - e.g. there are no more cobs appearing, the silks have clearly had all the pollen they need - then you could just snap the tassels off the tops of the first-batch to stop them shedding any more pollen (onto the second batch)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 13:54 »
I planted two varieties on the same day last year  - forget the actual variety but one was a later type as I wanted to have a more extended period for having sweetcorn. All grew fine and got lovely sweet cobs. Did the same this year too so hopeful the same success takes place!

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 16:51 »
I'm growing a baby corn this year called Minipop. I think others on their plots may be growing the larger cob versions. I hope this won't be too much of a problem for my babies........ :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 16:56 »
No problem at all, as you pick them immature before the tassles show & they get pollinated.

xx
Spacing strawberry varieties

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 12:36
by lordthanatos
xx
Spacing sweetcorn

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 09:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Sweetcorn varieties

Started by Wombat18 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 17:43
by mumofstig
xx
Sweetcorn varieties

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 00:04
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.