Spacing.

• 7 Replies

BOB3554

Spacing.
« on: December 23, 2008, 17:19 »
Because of size constraints for my raised beds,only being 27" wide, would I get a row of Dwarf French beans lengthways along the bed with a row of peas in front. The beans planted in a 15cm. spacing, offset formation and peas in a triple row. Spacing and layout info. from the Pauline Pears "Bed System" booklet.
 Any help or other/better way of doing it gratefully recieved,
Bob.

MERRY Christmas TO ALL.

Salmo

Spacing.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 18:52 »
Peas need a lot of room and will probably fill the whole bed and swamp the beans.

It would be better to plant them in seperate blocks.

Dwarf beans respond well to being spaced out. I would plant a double row with 30 cms between the rows and 20 cms between plants in each row planted staggered against each other. The beans will make good use of the space and grow outwards over the path.

Dwarf beans can be planted very late, up to the end of July. If you choose an early variety of peas it should be possible to follow with a crop of beans on the same plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Spacing.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 18:53 »
The only downside to your plan is that you wont be able to pick the 'inside' side of your peas or beans very well. It would be easier to pick with small crossways rows but then i suppose you loose to much bed by the time you leave big gaps between rows.(which you could fill with lettuce maybe)

Don't know what else you're planning to grow..maybe in other beds, or how much other space you've got..but is there a smaller crop you could swap for the beans. Peas and beans are not too fussy about where they go in rotaton as far as i understand it.

woodburner

Spacing.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 20:28 »
Legumes are grouped together on a rotation system, because they have similar requirements and effect on the soil, but for companion planting they can be grown with anything except onions. HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

BOB3554

Spacing question follow-up.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15 »
Many thanks for replies, very helpful.
 My layout will be 3 beds, 27" wide by 8 feet long, path alongside first, which is joined to second, down the long side. Path between second and third.
 Crops were going to be,
 Dwarf French Beans,
 Peas,
 Carrots,
 Sweet Corn.
 1 x Courgette, possibly planted under S/Corn, works according to Monty Don,
 Leeks.
 I had thought of potting up winter veg plants until I had space after cropping some of the above.
 Any help or ideas to change/improve system welcomed,
Bob.

shaun

Spacing.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:27 »
my advice would be to do away with the raised beds then you will so much more room to plant
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

woodburner

Spacing.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 14:55 »
As you're not growing brassicas, the only thing with any special soil requirements are carrots, so I'd
1. forget about any rotation 'system'
2. either grow carrots in big pots/old bath tub (will help with carrot fly too ;) or just keep manure off the area you are intending to grow carrots on
3. keep note of what you grow where and try and plant something from a different group there next year
4. try and keep the onions away from the beans,
and even forget about 3 and 4 if they are too much trouble, the chances of any serious problems are very small indeed. :)

I'd keep the beds, if you don't have them you will need to walk on the ground very close to the plants, compacting the soil around them. (Plus the obvious point that you will have to dig or at least workover the whole area each year.)

waddecar

• Experienced Member
Spacing.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 20:24 »
I too wrestled with such conundrums until I saw someone growing angled rows in a raised bed - in effect just decide how long you need a row to be.

xx
Spacing in Raised Beds (and spacing in general!)

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 22:09
by Ice
xx
Why is row spacing wider than between plant spacing?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2023, 11:39
by Goosegirl
xx
Need some help with spacing's please.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 19:22
by Dantheman
xx
Pea row spacing ... ambassador

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 08:29
by ianl

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 40 queries.