jerusalems

• 7 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
jerusalems
« on: March 03, 2008, 17:21 »
i love em and would like to put some on our allotment. Can they be grown in pots - i don't want them taking over
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

Nikkithefoot

Re: jerusalems
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 18:47 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
Can they be grown in pots - i don't want them taking over

I would say not best grown in pots unless the pots are enormous. The plants themselves grow to about 10' in height, which would make the majority of pots very top heavy. In the ground they need to be planted 18" to 2' apart so any pot would need to be minimum 2'square and probably 3' deep to stand any chance.

What about a permanent bed on the lottie?

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
jerusalems
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 18:56 »
Our lottie is 40x30', so don't want to use a massive amount of space. Do you think 2 plants would be enough - there's only 2 of us.

gobs

jerusalems
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 19:31 »
You grow what you like to eat, if you love them, they deserve the place. Also, will be there all winter to dig up as fresh, 2 plants won't provide several months staple. Your call. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

agapanthus

jerusalems
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 19:37 »
I grew these last year in a raised bed, but I buried a piece of corrugated plastic....about 18inches down.....to stop them spreading too far! ;)

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
jerusalems
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 19:40 »
cunning plan !

Angelah

• Experienced Member
jerusalems
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 21:30 »
Aaah, I wondered about burying something to stop them spreading too far, as I'm planning on planting some at the very edge of my plot, so the high fence can be used to provide support if needed, but didn't think the neighbours would appreciate them appearing in their gardens! Probably be next year before I manage to get round to it though - got whole plot to clear first!

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
jerusalems
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 21:44 »
I grew these last year in a raised bed, but I buried a piece of corrugated plastic....about 18inches down.....to stop them spreading too far!

But the threat is not deep, it is sideways.

The simple answer is good management because they do not spread wildly, they produce tubers in a circle all round the original. Dig them up each year and replant enough for the following season and they will be contained.

They get out of hand because of neglect. Leave half of the tubers in undug and there will be a thicket of small tubers some distance from the original source. Let them establish in pathways and such then you will have problems.

They do not spread if you eat them. :tongue2:

xx
Jerusalems ready

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 09:05
by supersprout

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 29 queries.