New Girls - Help!

• 9 Replies

ycholmes

New Girls - Help!
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:17 »
I know I am being soft and I guess others have felt the same.  However, how long does it take for the new girls to be accepted by the previous ones?  I finally put my 2 new girls (both Orpingtons) in with my 3 hybrid girls last night.  All was well, albeit a little pushing a shoving.  Out they came this morning ok.  Then it started.  Strangely enough it wasn't the hen that is top dog so to speak, it was Hattie the one who is usually bullied who did the fighting.  My poor new Orpingtons are scared witless.  Please reassure me it won't be too long.  I know I mustn't keep them separate but I have to go out at lunchtime for the afternoon and worried about keeping them together whilst I am not there!  Please help someone??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Girls - Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:25 »
It can take a couple of weeks, just make sure they have several feeders and drinkers and also plenty of hiding spaces. It often is the one who is at the bottom of the pile that kicks off, all she is trying to do is assert her standing in the group and making sure that she doesn't stay at the bottom - fair play to her  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ycholmes

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:26 »
Thanks Joyfull.  Would it be better to make them stay together this afternoon or should I keep them separate whilst I am out?

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33 »
It is horrible, I know - everyone goes through the same thing I gather and it can last a few days.  We put 4 ex bats together for the 1st time in August 2009 and  it was dreadful....it was our first time keeping chickens so I don't think I'd worry as much this time around as they need to sort out the pecking order and this is how it's done.  
My advice would be to let them get on with it (sorry!). Put 2 sources of food and water in there so they are not being kept away from food by bullies. Check them as soon as you come home, if there is any sign of bleeding you will need to spray with prurple gentian spray as chickens can bully another to death if they see blood.   The purple colour covers up the red blood and is an anticeptic too.  What we did with ours was to isolte the really bullied hen when she looked like she needed some time out, so we gave her a small run next to the others so they could still see her (this is important so they dont reject her totally).  We then put her own small hen house in the coop, so she could choose to go in that one when things got tough. She used this on and off for about 6 months, and now never goes near it - so all is well.  With hindsight I think we might have been too soft with the extra hen house bit - but I fully believe in all the other bits including isolating a really bullied hen occasionally just so she gets some respite.
Hope this helps.

ycholmes

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:49 »
Thanks for your advice.  I have put the new girls in the run that I can shut off from the rest with water, food etc.  The other girls are free ranging at the moment but can see the new ones if they so wish.  I thought it may be better to do this today, put them in together tonight and try again tomorrow when I am here all the time.  What do you think?  I just felt the new girls needed a breather.  I feel awful putting them through this.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:57 »
As long as they can see each other, then that's fine - do they have shelter as well?
I know what you mean - it's so worrying - you probably need a break too!!

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 14:18 »
Once you have put them together don't seperate them again as they will start of at the begining again. If one is really beaten up then spray it with purple spray to cover up any injuries and only if it is really bad then think about seperating it but it will probably not be accepted by the others again. This happened to one of my girls and she ended up living apart from the others they could see her but could not get to her.
It is very hard to watch them being so nasty to each other but it is survival and they have to work out the pecking order. If you can put a couple of buckets on its side and then the chickens can go into them to escape that has always worked with mine. Also put around more feeders and water than you think they will need it then gives everyone a chance to get food and water. In a couple of weeks you will have a happy bunch of girls all getting on together.

ycholmes

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55 »
Thanks Jeanette and everyone for your advice.  They have shelter and food etc.  It is just I feel so helpless and feel guilty for putting these beautiful girls into such a hostile environment.  I have tried spraying the girls with anti pecking spray to help but not sure it is doing anything.  No blood yet, just lots and lots of feathers.  They just go into panic mode when Hattie is anywhere near.  At least they all sleep together ok.  I would just like to get the worst over before going back to work on Monday, but I guess I am being a little over optimistic!!  My middle name!!!   
Just another thing, how long before I can let the new girls out to free range with the others?  I feel I can't let the others out yet until things with all of them are sorted out better - is that the right thing?

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 12:16 »
I would keep them in the run and coup for a week and then let them free range. By then they will know where to go to bed and get in the coup at night. Please don't feel helpless and guilty about your girls, it is something that has to be done if you keep chickens we have all been there. There are some lovely people on this site that can help at any time.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:52 »
hold your nerve and be brave - it's worth it when they suddenly settle and free range in peace & harmony.....'til you feed them and the little dinosaur in them awakes ! :tongue2:

all good in the end for sure  ::)

xx
Wet Girls!

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:04
by Sparr0wman
xx
2 new girls

Started by violet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 09:42
by violet
xx
New girls more of the same or different

Started by Poppadoo on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 21:29
by swedishchicken
xx
New Girls

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 20:03
by Madrat

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.