New in more ways than 1!

• 5 Replies

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
New in more ways than 1!
« on: January 14, 2016, 13:24 »
Taking this opportunity to introduce myself. I've been lurking around the site for a few weeks now, and can see what a value this information will be to me over the coming season (and beyond).

While i've gardened a little in Australia, I'm an absolute novice at gardening in the northern hemisphere. It's novelty experiencing 4 seasons for a start then there's the shorter growing seasons. It will quite a learning curve for me.

Then to complicate matters a tad more, I'm in SW France as opposed to the UK so must make adjustments for weather differences. I've allowed 3-4wk variation to sowing/planting dates. Does this sound sensible?

I have grow lights for propagating and with an unheated grow house i think i'll be ok with managing until planting out in the potager.

I have one question though. I purchased some comfrey plants from tomatoseedsuk but they were delayed (accepted  that due to time of the year). What i find less than acceptable is the lack of response to my email enquiries as to ETA. Has anyone experienced similar?

Pleased to have access to your wealth of experience. I'm ready and eager to learn.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
Re: New in more ways than 1!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 13:49 »
welcome AussieInFrance, hope you get good comfrey plants

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 20:28 »
Welcome to the site and to European gardening!  :D

We've got a couple of French gardeners on here, but I can't remember whereabouts they are.  Keep an eye open for them, and perhaps then look to see whether they have a thread in the Diary section  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 21:15 »
Hello and welcome!

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 18:00 »
Many thanks for your welcome. I would appreciate any non UK based members making themselves known, although i'll be on the look out as well.

Snow forecast for me in the next day or two - makes working inside a pleasure, doesn't it. Sowed onions, peppers, tomatoes, chillis, aubergine, basil, aquilegias, cleome, geraniums and  sweet peas today.

Sorting out what i'll sow tomorrow. Chances are high that in a week or two, i'll be knee-deep in seedlings.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 19:16 »
Hi there and welcome. It'll be good to hear how you get on starting your new growing season 😁. I know you said. You had grow lights but be warned ... those cute little seedlings grow into fairly large plants and they all still need enough light and space inside before you can plant them out. I have been that person!!!!

Take lots of photos too as things change so quickly one you get going with developing your area
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.