Quince Question!

• 11 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Quince Question!
« on: October 02, 2013, 11:18 »
I was given a goodly crop of quinces by a friend - 18lb to be precise!!  Although I've made plenty of jellies in the past from various fruit including mulberries, redcurrants and grapes, this is the first time I'd encountered a quince.

Having browsed various recipes, I decided to go with one from the River Cottage preserving book which said to chop the fruit, then barely cover with water and simmer gently for 45-60 mins until the fruit was soft before straining through a jelly bag.

This I did, and was initially only mildly concerned that my preserving pan looked as though I was brewing up a batch of wallpaper paste ... until this morning, when I saw that the liquid that had strained through the jelly bag was thick, gloopy and cloudy.

Obviously, I didn't squeeze the bag once it was strung up - I just let it do its own thing overnight.  So, can anyone tell me whether this batch is a definite write-off or could I try straining it a second time through a finer fabric?  Or would it help to bring it to the boil again before straining it a second time?

I'd be really grateful for some advice, as that would be one heck of a lot of quinces down the drain!!   :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Quince Question!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34 »
I'd try a gentle re-heat of the whole lot and straining through a finer bag. None of the pulp should have come through and it sounds like it has.

You should have a crystal clear liquid coming through. Good luck! 

And you can make membrillo with the paste that is left over, so hardly anything is binned in the end. :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:39 »
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on. 

Sadly, though, I put the contents of the bag onto the compost this morning, so no Membrillo from that!  However, I only used about two thirds of the original bumper crop, so I'll remember to do that with the remaining fruit  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 13:51 »
I have made two batches of quince jelly this year, using the large yellow ones. Both times the liquid has been cloudy on straining but cleared beautifully after adding the sugar, boiling and skimming the scum off. Try it and see.

Delicious too. As for membrillo I made it from scratch rather than from waste and it took ages to boil down, you have to be careful it doesn't catch. Makes loads too.

Ignore the Portuguese tarts and walnuts. I made a slab and lots of individual ones in silicone cases from one large pan from a set.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 14:50 »
Wow Tosca, thanks for this - great photos!  Was the juice still yellow when it came through the jelly bag?  It looks a gorgeous colour in the jars now!

I've got about three litres, so maybe I'll try using half of it without re-heating and re-straining and see how it goes.  The 'jelly bag' I used was actually a pillow case, so unless I used another one inside the first one, I can't see that I could get anything much finer to strain through.  Do you know whether it's possible to freeze the strained juice to save it for another time?

I also wondered whether maybe I'd cooked the fruit for too long in the first place, because it took an awfully long time to come up to a simmer (despite the fact I'd put boiling water from the kettle into the preserving pan rather than cold water).

Anyway, I'll give it a go and see what happens  :)

tosca100

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 15:43 »
The juice was a dull pinky yellow, not very attractive. The first lot I left too long stewing probably as I forgot it....too much on at once. The second lot wasn't as long but the juice was a bit paler. The colour seems to be deepening as it ages. OH was fascinated to see greeny yellow fruits turning pinky then that lovely colour. It's the tannin apparently.

I don't see why the juice wouldn't freeze, you can make jam from frozen fruit.

surbie100

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 16:01 »
The juice I had was clear but gloopy and yellowy and turned ruby when heated with sugar. Mine was made with ornamental quince though, not the large yellow ones.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 16:45 »
I'm not sure whether these are ornamental or not, as I reckon the bush they came from is quite an age.  The fruits are yellow, but all different sizes.  I should think the smallest are the size of a large crab apple, and the largest are the size of a small pear. 

Anyway, I shall give it a go tomorrow and see what happens!  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 17:57 »
I have some quinces now from my friend's tree and so am starting with bottles Ruby Quinces. I made these once before and they just seem to get redder and redder the longer they are left  :D

If she gives me more, it'll be jelly and membrillo all round  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 16:39 »
:D  :D  :D  YESSSSSSS!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

Whilst my Quince Jelly didn't turn out the beautiful pink colour of Tosca's in her photo, it DID miraculously clear once boiled with the sugar, and is now sitting pretty in the jars.  It's a lovely golden colour - a bit like golden syrup really, but clearer.  I guess that's just down to the variety.

I only used about a third of the juice just to see what happened, so will make the remaining two thirds tomorrow.  I may actually dilute it a bit, as it's certainly showing signs of a strong set!  It's also quite sharp, so I think I'll include some rosemary in the next lot and use it for serving with roast meats, etc. 

Anyway, great to know that perseverance wins the day - and thanks to those who posted and gave me hope!! :D

tosca100

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 17:41 »
:D  :D  :D  YESSSSSSS!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

Whilst my Quince Jelly didn't turn out the beautiful pink colour of Tosca's in her photo, it DID miraculously clear once boiled with the sugar, and is now sitting pretty in the jars.  It's a lovely golden colour - a bit like golden syrup really, but clearer.  I guess that's just down to the variety.

I only used about a third of the juice just to see what happened, so will make the remaining two thirds tomorrow.  I may actually dilute it a bit, as it's certainly showing signs of a strong set!  It's also quite sharp, so I think I'll include some rosemary in the next lot and use it for serving with roast meats, etc. 
Anyway, great to know that perseverance wins the day - and thanks to those who posted and gave me hope!! :D

Excellent! Worth persevering. :D

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 17:44 »
Glad it worked!  :)

xx
Quince

Started by reb on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 20:54
by WG.
xx
Quince

Started by brianbishop on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 24, 2014, 17:07
by Auntiemogs
xx
Quince

Started by blackhobbescat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 20:24
by itsonlyme
xx
Quince

Started by Chazs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 14:38
by Chazs

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 35 queries.